Yikes they are here and now.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mark Custis, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I just called for a price on a water to water 5 ton geo unit. The prices came in at $1,200 more for a unit with a loop side pump and expansion tank and $1,600 more for a loop and load system both sides have expansion tanks. These are my cost amounts over what I paid for a "non-pump added" system in January.

This bothers me a great deal.

I have for years been scorned for doing what the manufacturer is doing for me at a 300% mark up of my cost to do the same thing. I have always treated the water side of a geothermal heat pump as a hydronics system, with all the bells a whistles.

I applaud the manufacturer for seeing the light on what their equipment is becoming a part of, but how do they "know" what I am hooking "their" pump to. Do I use 150 ft per ton or 500 ft per ton? What do I have on the load side? How would they know?

I got this info in a voice mail so I do not know if I can pick the pumps.

Mark

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hey Mark,
    I ran into this with the climate master outdoor units. I simply put a disclaimer in my contract that states the hvac is now responsible for the fluid engineering on the loop side. I had the same questions as you.

On another note I have a guy im my OA that wants to explore geothermal heating and cooling for a greenhouse operation via e-mail with someone who knows alot more than me about the load side of things. any volunteers?
    Eric

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Greenhouses

I've done design work for these. It is a tough sell sometimes as they need to know their crop demands. And those crops often demand excess CO2, which geo is poor at.

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

There is a thin line.

For using geo for greenhouses. Just like Curt says. I do not hold out much hope for a good economic fit, but could look at his situation. Have him call me.

Mark