Wire split geo furnace fan to auto transfer switch

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mag7mm, Feb 10, 2013.

1. mag7mm

mag7mm New Member

My question is I will be installing a split fuel geo system into my new home, the reason I have to go with split fuel is so I can get the geo system onto the electrical companies power savings program. They require me to have another fuel system mine being propane for when they need to switch off the power to the geo system in high usage needs. So the geo is connected to a seperate meter than the main house and a remote switch. The issue I see is the fan motor for the dual fuel furnace will need to be wired to the houses meter, not the meter that is in the program so when they shut down the geo the propane side will still work. The savings from the electrical program is half of what I will be paying per kilowatt for the home, and since the fan will run the most I would like to see if I could find a way to wire the fan into the second meter and have it switch to the home if they switch the power off to the geo. I thought maybe a auto transfer switch that would switch it like it was on a battery bank or a auto generator and then back when they switch it back? I don't know how many amps these motors use but Im sure it adds up, any ideas would be great. Thanks

2. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I'm not sure I'd go to all that trouble. Modern ECM blowers, assuming they are connected to good ductwork (by good I mean operates with reasonable static pressure (TESP)), don't use too much power, at least, not enough to make it worthwhile jumping through hoops to run the blower off the interruptible service...in fact, rules for interruptible loads may stipulate that you NOT switch the load to the non-interruptible service.

The bigger question will be how to marry a geo heat pump to a propane furnace. That may require configuring the geo as a water to water unit putting warm water into a hydronic coil external to the furnace. Maybe that coil would take chilled water in summer so you'd have AC as well.

A properly designed and installed conventional geo should reduce energy usage so much, relative to propane, that you might consider skipping the complexity and cost of dealing with an interruptible service.

I'm a Florida guy - we don't deal much with these issues, so other experts used to colder weather may have other (better) ideas.