Window Geothermal Heat Pump??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mrbill43, Jan 9, 2009.

1. mrbill43

mrbill43 New Member

Do I also need a Humidifier?

If I have a geothermal system installed will I also need some type of humidifier. I live in Delaware about 2 miles from the beach,I have hard wood floors throughout most of the house which are effected by dry conditions in the house. I use a portable humidifier now to control the humidity in the house during the winter months. The heat pump system seems to dry out the house considerably when the temperatures drop. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. rw1995

rw1995 Member

I installed geothermal 2 months ago, and my humidity was not affected a great deal. It dropped 5-6% from my NG forced air system. I'm running around 40% humidity at the present.

3. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I don't understand how / why geo would result in drier indoor air than gas. Neither should add or remove any water vapor from indoor air.

I'd like to hear from others with more heating and humidifying experience than I on this question because I've heard variations on it off and on for years.

4. ciws14

ciws14 Member

Humidity

The first year after having mine running in our new house. My humidity was around 40% Once This year, I did need a humidifier during the very cold days as it would dip down to around 15%. At the beginning of this heating season I still did not have my electric back-up working. After a week of subzero -40 windchill I decided it was time. Once that was installed and operating, between the bitter cold and the electric toaster, my house was again very dry. The heat pump itself without electric backup will not dry the air out. The electric backup will. The conditions outside contribute more to dry air than anything. I also use my fireplace a lot which will of course contribute. With the price of Propane dropping, I have been using my Hot Water backup a lot more, but we all know how unstable petroleum is and that will soon change. Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. engineer

Electric backup itself does not dehumidify - it is the bitter cold outside conditions that occasion electric backup use that makes indoor air dryer.

One thing that can reduce indoor humidity in winter is using a fireplace during cold weather - use of one generally increases infiltration from outdoors, and that dry outdoor air dries the interior

6. ciws14

ciws14 Member

Dry House

That makes sense Engineer...

7. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Outdoor air

As engineer is hinting at, your outside air is what is generally dictating your indoor air humidity. Because winter has dry outside air, you will find your indoor air is drier when it uses the outdoor air for ventilation.

We have a dry climate here and humidifiers are a common addition, especially as popular design has swung towards hardwood floors.

If you really want to get in to it, this is an engineering discipline called Psychometrics.

8. engineer

Not trying to be a stickler, but...

Psychometrics is the study of loonies.

Psychrometrics is loonies (us) studying thermodynamics of gas-vapor mixtures

9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Typo

thanks for catching that:eek:

10. geo fan

geo fan Member Forum Leader

humidity

ok heating with geo does not decrease humidity more then any other heating system , but heating air does .
    When you heat air you are expanding it , so you are increasing the volume of the air but the grains of moisture have not changed decreasing the RH%

11. engineer

Difference between relative and absolute humidity

That air expands when heated has no effect on humidity. The humidity in air is water vapor, a gas just like air, so it expands when heated as well.

Key term here is 'relative'. Relative humidity is the amount of water vapor in air relative to how much the air could hold. A casual glance at a psychrometric chart shows how much air's capacity to hold water rises when it is heated. Cold outdoor air at say 50% humidity can become warm indoor air at 20% humidity or less just by being heated when it infiltrates into the house.

12. Urth NurG Gurl

Urth NurG Gurl New Member

My system is new....

I live in Western Iowa on a farm. My propane costs last winter were $550 a month. I made the decision to free myself of combustibles and had an earth energy system with electric heat pump backup installed.

My electric bill for December was $505! Apparently I am getting no benefit from the geothermal and am utilizing the electric source. I keep my large renovated home modestly heated at 66 nights and 69 days.

I have contacted the contractor. There was some spillage on the mechanical room floor of the glycol and water. He did not fully tighten the cap because he wanted any air to be able to be expelled. Three days ago, he tightened the cap firmly and said no spillage will occur. However, since then I see that I am running on electric.

His concern was that the five wells were drilled on a ridge at a higher elevation than my house (I live on a sidehill). He has never made an installation where that was the case. He phoned the well driller, who also said he had never done this before. (Why did they choose ME to do this experiment?) I assume they thought it would not matter. Now they are concerned because the system was placed October 1st and that any air should have purged, that there was spillage may be because of the gravitational pressure? Have you any wisdom to share about that?

Second question: I had a humidifier on my furnace. It was a propane high-efficiency furnace with an electric heat pump for emergency heat, which in cold Western Iowa, was used considerably. Early in December I got a serious cold...have not had a cold for 7 years. Finally required a visit to the doctor and antibiotics, followed by a second session of antibiotics. I spoke with the doctor; she suggested I need to have a humidifier on the furnace again.

When the geo was installed, I spoke with two contractors who said the air would be less dry and that they had never installed a humidifier on a geothermal. I was glad; one less expense, as the geothermal cost exceeded $20,000. The contractor is willing to install a humidifier if I want one, at a total cost of $631 for a GeneralAire Model 1042. I have a humidistat and it reads 38-40. From my internet research, it appears the optimal is 45. I have a large (about 3000 SF) house which is two-story. I would rather make the investment of $631 than have colds and medical expenses, as I am otherwise healthy. Nostrils, eyes, lips, hands feel somewhat drier than what I am accustomed to.

Please advise. I would also appreciate knowing whether $631 is an excessive cost. As I look at humidifiers on the internet, the cost seems a great deal less. People have told me about $250 would be the normal expectation.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...for any counsel you may provide.

13. Waukman

Waukman Member

Start new thread please....

Can folks please start new threads for their issues rather then hijacking existing topics.....

14. supernova532

supernova532 New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows whether any of the heat pump manufacturers make a window unit heat pump? What sizes if available in tonnage.

15. teetech

teetech Member Forum Leader

Haven't seen any window units but they do make a console style about 7 - 18 kbtu on the commercial side of things. Go to Waterfurnace website under "for your business" then products for more Info.

16. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Most major manufactures make a "console" unit, like you find in hotel rooms.