Why No High End Split Geo Equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Alexander Wood, Jan 7, 2018.

1. gsmith22

gsmith22 Active Member Forum Leader

please don't mistake my pointing them out as some sort of tacit approval of what they are doing and/or their effectiveness at doing it. I hardly believe they are the next Elon Musk; I was merely pointing out that this one particular outfit was at least publicly positioning themselves as some sort of savior to the geothermal field in general. its probably more likely they are promising lots of work for their subs and getting whole sale pricing (in not Walmart style supplier squeezing) with a combination of easy financing from Google and as was indicated, no natural gas alternative. And yes, sonic drilling is hardly new

2. A prohibition on gas hookups is certainly a good thing, but there are also very large areas that just don't have gas lines to hook up to and hundreds of thousands of houses out there... so if geothermal is able to be competitive with ASHPs, then there's a shot of success there. Either is much cheaper than the oil or propane systems that they would be replacing. I think for replacing single-furnace scorched air, geo has a good shot of being competitive. Where there aren't ducts already in place, the cost factor goes strongly in favor of mini-splits and retaining an LP gas boiler as backup. If gas is available, it still doesn't make much sense, but people don't do math. LP gas is cheaper if you use a few hundred gallons a year or less, due to not having to pay the meter fees.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A resurgence in geo will soon be here. I have been drilling geo since 2000. When fuel prices spike again, it will boom. So will the exploration market. Shot hole drilling is a close relative to geo looping. All about footage per day and production.
    Eric