Where to bring loop into basement

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by dn3187, Oct 1, 2012.

1. dn3187

dn3187 New Member

We are in the planning stages of building a new home with partial walkout basement using Superior Walls (precast concrete). Should I bring the loop in through the wall or under the slab and come up somewhere close to where unit will be placed?
    Pro's and Con's of either location?

Currently have a geothermal system (4ton) on open loop which works great for last 19 years. Uncertain on installing another open loop system within 300 feet of current home (building new home on adjactent property). Never had a problem with open loop before.

New home will be around 3,700 sq feet with sprayfoam insulation, high quality windows and doors. Located in Southern Va. Haven't sized a new system yet, just planning for now.

Any comments??

Thanks for any info.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Either

Either way works fine mechanically. Go with the one that gives you the nicest finished look.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

How much basement are you willing to sacrifice? How will you be manifolding the loops? I prefer to minimise the amount of penetrations through the wall or floor, so my vote is for manifolding outside and bring only the transmission lines into the basement. I also recomend sleaving. If you have to take a mulligan for what ever reason sleaving allows you a easy path to gain re-entry into the basement.
    Eric

4. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

For new construction we stub in the header pipes, under the slab and foundation, near the geo's location.

Bergy

5. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I prefer to have sleeves Installed.
    I am not a fan of stubbing the lines with heavy equiptment digging and driving all around on new construction.

6. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

If you go sleeves with elbows, make sure that you can push the pipe through the elbows.

7. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

As superior walls are engineered off site we hate to bore through them.

8. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Under the slab is the cleanest. No core drilling, no sealing, no leaking, pipes don't need to be insulated. Many reasons, especially with the nice superior walls!

9. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Through Slab with superior walls
    2013-01-05_10-34-36_484.jpg

10. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Nice job!
    Is that a flow center or a geothermal Keurig?
    Eric

11. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Dito,

this works the best for us. No sealing, no running pipes inside the building, no insulation needed.

12. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We insulate the header pipes until they exit under the foundation.

Bergy