What am I missing on pricing?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RevTim, Jun 3, 2019.

1. RevTim

RevTim New Member

Someone please help me out here. I am reading on other posts where someone is needing to replace his 3 Ton WaterFurnace geo heat pump and is getting estimates of $15K-$22k. I thought that the retrofit installation including all the trench digging and heat exchange loops etc is was caused the price of a geo unit to be so incredibly high but here we're talking about replacement only. I can find 3+ ton geo heat pumps in the $3 - $4k range as a stand alone purchase so how does the replacement get from the low single thousands into the $20,000 range?

On the other hand, I see top line traditional airborne heat pump/AC units in the 3 Ton range selling for around $1500 plus installation. I can't help but wonder if we're being taken for a ride here. Someone please help me make sense of this disparity.

2. mrpac

mrpac New Member

I thought the same when I read posts about replacement of the furnace itself.

I have a 3 Ton Waterfurnace and wanted A quick idea of replacement cost - and on a manufacturers site it was approx $3500.

Add markup, installation, re/re, flushing, commissioning I guess that it adds up.

I am of the mind if it could be purchased - that is key - I would prefer to install myself, and hire the trades when required.

Glad to see that others are seeing the same blah blah blah that I saw.