What am I missing on pricing?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RevTim, Jun 3, 2019.

1. RevTim

RevTim New Member

Someone please help me out here. I am reading on other posts where someone is needing to replace his 3 Ton WaterFurnace geo heat pump and is getting estimates of $15K-$22k. I thought that the retrofit installation including all the trench digging and heat exchange loops etc is was caused the price of a geo unit to be so incredibly high but here we're talking about replacement only. I can find 3+ ton geo heat pumps in the $3 - $4k range as a stand alone purchase so how does the replacement get from the low single thousands into the $20,000 range?

On the other hand, I see top line traditional airborne heat pump/AC units in the 3 Ton range selling for around $1500 plus installation. I can't help but wonder if we're being taken for a ride here. Someone please help me make sense of this disparity.

2. mrpac

mrpac New Member

I thought the same when I read posts about replacement of the furnace itself.

I have a 3 Ton Waterfurnace and wanted A quick idea of replacement cost - and on a manufacturers site it was approx $3500.

Add markup, installation, re/re, flushing, commissioning I guess that it adds up.

I am of the mind if it could be purchased - that is key - I would prefer to install myself, and hire the trades when required.

Glad to see that others are seeing the same blah blah blah that I saw.

3. JD B

JD B Member

I had the same question when I got a 13 grand bid to replace an older unit that still works good. The old 2 ton unit is 11.1 EER and 4.1 COP so thought newer units worth considering - but the specs on the fancy name unit came quoted as "up to" 24.1 EER and "up to" 4.0 COP. So I would maybe pick up 13 EER but lose .1 or more COP. As my seasons are more COP related - no deal there and for the huge cost any additional EER gain didn't make sense either.

Leaving behind the efficiency issue, the question of cost really angered me. The ducting is in; the electrical and breakers are in and require zero modification; the drain/sump is in and adjacent; the loop is in and comes in to HP/flo center; no manifolds so 1 pipe in and 1 pipe out; new unit has exactly the same dimension as the old; and the install is in a roomy basement without restrictions on any side. Only minimal labor to install.

Let's say the new HP costs 5 grand and the loop needed purged/filled after install - that surely couldn't cost 8 grand. Even if you throw in a new unpressurized flo center for a grand - that leaves 7 grand for labor. This struck me as so usury, I was offended.

I just had a high SEER gas unit installed in town for 32 hundred for everything including a new venting addition to meet code, for a comparison. There's a 10 grand difference that's difficult to explain. The salesman chatted up the 30% credit - but you have to owe taxes to credit against. I came away feeling that a 30% overcharge was being imposed to offset the Federal credit.

Needless to say - the old unit stays and will be repaired - when needed - gleefully. However, geothermal will not thrive given the cost versus benefit of today's conditions.