Ohio WF Thermostat Confusion

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ohio, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ohio

ohio New Member

I cannot seem to locate anywhere on my thermostat the model number.

When I read through the manuals though I am missing all the advanced options leading to my creating this thread. Within my thermostat I am missing auto changeover, superboost (if applicable), offsets, and service information just to name a few.

From what I can tell I have a TP32U03 thermostat wired like a TPCM32U03 thermostat.

Waterfurnance 5 series with ABX, I don't believe I have the performance/refrigeration package unfortunately 2012 install.

Thank you for your time,
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

I believe your tstat is the TPCM32U03.
    Energy Monitoring is only available if the energy sensor kit is installed.
    SuperBoost is only available on the Series 7.
    Most of the other settings listed above are in Advanced or Installer settings. These settings should NOT be changed unless you fully understand the control logic of your system.

3. ohio

ohio New Member

My instant energy monitor displays blower, compressor and elect heat values so I am assuming I do have the energy sensor kit installed. Whether or not they are accurate and precise is another question altogether....

My thermostat does NOT display these other options. I am most interested in the temperature offsets. I am desiring an experiment to increase the offset to 0.5 or 1 degree with the expectation my unit would cycle less often but for a longer period of time (increasing efficiency).

4. parrisjr

parrisjr Member

Hi,
    Try touching your thermostat to make the screen active, then touch the upper left corner of the screen with finger and hold until it beeps and a new screen should appear.
    Parrisjr

5. geoxne

Installer Settings
    NOTE:
    These options are intended to be used by the installer.
    End users are not advised to change or modify any of these
    settings. Doing so may make your equipment stop working
    properly and/or may void the warranty of the thermostat as
    well as the equipment hooked up to the thermostat. To access
    the installer setting menu, the mode must be set to OFF. Then,
    press both the up and down arrows keys at the same time for at
    least 5 seconds to enter the installer screen.

6. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

If you are so happy, why do you want to change things?

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

To access
    the installer setting menu, the mode must be set to OFF. Then,
    press both the up and down arrows keys at the same time for at
    least 5 seconds to enter the installer screen.

8. ohio

ohio New Member

I am most interested in the temperature offsets. I am desiring an experiment to increase the offset to 0.5 or 1 degree with the expectation my unit would cycle less often but for a longer period of time (increasing efficiency).

My 5 series was just on for 10 min and shut off. From everything I have read on here that seems quiet short of a cycle. Currently waiting to see how long till it kicks back on.

I would also like to experiment with the DSH. Is it okay for me to turn the switch off on the waterfurnace unit? I am curious to see how much our electric bill changes if I keep it off for a month. Our current setup contains one 80 gallon tank. Pretty sure I foresee a buffer tank in the coming months.

I have not changed anything yet besides my water tank temp setting to correlate with the waterfurnace manual. My wife felt that the water was much cooler so that experiment was a success. Thank you for the information

9. geoxne

Let us know the results of your experiment. An increase in efficiency would be difficult to quantify. For example and discussion-
    -70F thermostat setpoint with 1F swing would result in a 69.5F ave house temperature.
    -70F thermostat setpoint with 2F swing would result in a 69F ave house temperature.
    It maybe possible the energy savings would be in the lower ave. temperature and not in the change in swing.

I believe the efficiency is in the geo equipment and the thermostat is to control it for comfort. I do understand that everyone's comfort level is different and you may adjust to suit your needs, however, I would guess the energy savings would be not be more than pennies a day.

My opinion is that you are NOT short cycling. Typically 3 to 4 cycles per hour is normal at 50% load (10 min on/10 min off). The long run times will come when the load increases.

Yes, but keep in mind your DSH capacity is determined by so many different factors (and subject to fluctuations) it would be difficult to determine a baseline period for comparison. Also, you will get the most DSH output during the coldest period in a heating dominant climate.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. ohio

ohio New Member

I'll see what I can come up with!

My next experiment will be a 40 gal buffer tank after the holidays.

Thank you for the information.