WF Symphony Energy Usage display - wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by simpsomatt, Nov 1, 2017.

1. simpsomatt

simpsomatt New Member

Just installed a new WF 5 Series with Symphony. A couple of items in the Energy Usage Display don't seem right. Loop Pump always shows 0, which doesn't seem right. Blower Motor is 0 when it's off (which should be correct), or 40 watts when it's running, regardless of speed. So far, I've seen the blower running at 3 speeds: 2 (fan-only), 5 (Stage 1 Heat), and 7 (Stage 2 Heat). At all 3 speeds, Symphony reports a power consumption of 40 watts. Is it correct that different speeds all consume the same amount of power, or is something flaky? The zero consumption for Loop Pump consumption definitely seems flaky.

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Pump wattage is estimated and calculated based on the pump model selected during setup with the AID tool. If a pump was not selected then the system can not calculate wattage.

The blower motor wattage is sensed directly by a CT "current transducer" (donut with 2 wires). The brown wire to the blower motor should be wrapped around so it passes through the sensor twice. The wattage should change at different speeds.

3. simpsomatt

simpsomatt New Member

Thanks for the info! Do you have a rough guess on the wattage that a blower on a 3-ton unit would use?

4. geoxne

I've seen a 3Ton Series7 blower as low as 39w on fan only and as high as 287w on aux heat. Your results will vary depending on how restrictive the duct work is, your fan settings, how many zones are open and how clean you filter is.

5. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

Most 3 ton units use a 1/2 HP blower which converts to 373 Watts. That would be near the maximum power you would expect the fan to consume at high speed.

6. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Your setup is not done correctly. Have your installer do it with the aid tool, assuming he installed it correctly. He can also do it remotely.

7. geoxne

If you have Symphony AWL and he is registered as dealer for your system.

8. docjenser

Isn't that the main purpose of Symphony? Why else would you get it. Remote error reporting and trouble shooting. Saves the dealer a lot of money, unless he makes a business case through service calls.

9. simpsomatt

simpsomatt New Member

Update: I had to place a service call for a different issue (E5 coax freeze errors caused by an incorrect dipswitch setting), so the tech checked out the energy monitoring while he was here. Pump type had not been defined, so he fixed that and pump usage is now reported as a constant 236 watts when it's running. He checked the fan transducer, and it appeared to be installed and functioning completely. Fan usage still never reports over 40 watts, and sometimes decreases at higher fan speeds. He says that's normal, and his meter seemed to verify that. He (and a couple of other people) said fan resistance decreases as air flow goes up, or something like that.

10. docjenser

My BS alert meter would be off the chart!
    This would be the first duct fan in the world which uses less energy when working harder.

Every single fan on the symphony system (and I look at about 1000 of them) increases when the blower runs at a higher stage. I would question if the transducer is setup correctly.

Example below, one is running the fan at stage 3 (compressor stage 3), the other one running the compressor at stage 9 (blower at stage 5).

Pressure drop is higher with more airflow, higher stage blower uses more electricity.

Attached Files:

11. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

sorry to dig up an old post, but just found this while searching.

simpsomatt, did you ever get a resolution to the constant fan wattage in symphony? Its definitely not correct (per docjenser above and all of my prior experience) and I am now having the same issue where fan shows constant 38W regardless of speed. Didn't used to do that. Wondering if it was ever resolved and what was wrong?

12. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member