Well drillers? Have question on domestic water well!

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by fastline, Apr 24, 2020.

1. fastline

fastline New Member

Hoping a few drillers are still hanging around? Have some issues with a newer water well and looking for a little advise. We drilled a new well on a very rural property a couple yrs ago. I knew it would be dicey trying to get in a decent formation around here. We ended up with nothing but clays/gray shale from 20-120ft. We drilled to 120ft, and perf'd from 20-120, top 20 is solid casing with bentonite plug. 10" bore, 5" casing, with gravel pack.

I initially started pumping the well within 1hr of drilling and tests were poor. 5-8gpm. I was away from the well for 2yrs though I had a pump set at 80ft and capped (no pitless yet). I was recently able to get 12gpm for over an hr without pulling air BUT that seems a moot point right now as I realized with have both cloudy water AND potentially a salty well! salt is not documented in my area at all. We have a job camper onsite and I ran the well for 5min, then filled the camper (not used for drinking water). I gave my dog some water and realized she would not drink it. That concerned me. Later I took a shower in it and realized on my lips that it was salty.

Is there any possibility this will subside with some long durations of pumping on the well or am I screwed here? I am just hopeful the well need much more rinsing. At only 8-12gpm, its not like you can rinse the well much in only a couple hrs but a local driller friend said I am probably screwed and may want to consider plugging the bottom 20ft with bentonite to start and hope the salt is on the bottom of the well.

A neighbor has a well about 500ft from mine and I have personally had that water tested and it is good water! Frustrated!

2. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

How deep is your neighbor's well?

waterpirate likes this.
  3. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

If you provided your location, it might help with the understanding of the below grade geology. Even if you matched your neighbor's well depth, you may still end up in a different formation depending on the horizontal (or sloping) nature of the soil and rock strata. There is lots of information available online about the underlying geology in most states. If you search for " 'your state' geologic survey" replacing 'your state' with where you live you might get some information that is helpful

waterpirate likes this.