Virginia WaterFurnace Envision Locked Rotor

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SAlibrahim, Jan 16, 2016.

1. SAlibrahim

SAlibrahim New Member

Hi everybody,
    I am new to this forum and have been reading the discussions, very informative. I have two 5 ton systems and last night one of the heat exchangers stopped working. The front door LEDs show flashing red Low Press/Comp and the Comfort Alert Status inside the unit shows YEL LED flash 4 times meaning Locked Rotor. I powered the system down and started up, I get the same result.
    I appreciate any information on What caused this condition and how to fix it.
    Thank you much,
    Sam

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Try to reset by turning off power or set the thermostat system to off for 30 seconds. If it restarts ok it could be a power quality issue. If it does NOT it could be a bad capacitor.
    -OR-
    If you have the Intellistart soft starter it may have failed.

Both are easily fixed. Are you still under warranty?

3. SAlibrahim

SAlibrahim New Member

Thank you for quick response, the warranty started August 17, 2011 and the warranty certificate on the units is 10 years, so I guess it is still under warranty.

I did both rests, power off and setting the thermostat to off for more than 10 minutes, same results!

Where is that capacitor?
    I don't know if I have Intellistart soft starter, what is that?
    Is the fix covered by warranty?

4. geoxne

Your WaterFurnace installer or local dealer should handle any warranty claim and repair.

If you don't know where the capacitor is by looking, you shouldn't be sticking your fingers where high voltage lurks. The capacitor is a low cost item. Your installer may even have one in stock. If it is the Intellistart (lists for over $400) a tech can bypass if he doesn't have one. Well worth a warranty claim.

5. SAlibrahim

SAlibrahim New Member

The tech is coming Monday, I am just curious about the geo thermal technology.

6. SAlibrahim

SAlibrahim New Member

Is there optional equipment that could be hooked up to show loop pressure, in and out liquid temperature, etc. to clearly and easily show the vital signs/operating condition of the system?

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Some WaterFurnace systems have sensors readable using AID tool, but that's a dealer / technician device, not for end users.

8. SAlibrahim

SAlibrahim New Member

Just an update, it was the capacitor! you got it right Geoxne. By the way, I don't have Intellistart in my system.
    Thanks for your help.

9. geoxne

My pleasure. I'm happy it was an easy fix. I still haven't figured out why these things always happen on the weekend.

10. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I love it when a plan gets together.

Mark