Water Furnace E-Series Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by glw57air, Jan 8, 2019.

1. glw57air

glw57air New Member

We purchased this home in 2009 with a Water Furnace E-Series GEO Thermal heating and cooling sytem. In Febuary of 2010 we had no heat, called the installer and they came out and checked the system and got it working at a service charge of $444.00. The repair, what ever it was lasted a few days because they were back again on March 1 2010. At this time they found the thermostat and control board were faulty and replaced under warranty. The parts were: Water Furnace Logic Board 17P513-03 and Water Furnace W/R 90 Series Blue 1F95-1271 TP32W02.
    This unit failed again on 12/27/2011. At this time the unit needed a leaking evaporator coil and a bad compressor in the E048TR111NBDSSA Serial # WF2295 replaced. At this time they replaced the compressor with : Compressor conversion kit E 048 Bristol Twin Single to a Copeland Scroll W/Control Board BSCK048, Water Furnace Bi-Flo Filter-Drier 3/8 BFK-083S36P500B01, Water Furnace Evaporator Coil 61S539C02. All of these parts were covered under warranty, but all the labor was not. Labor costs were $1,100.00
    The unit worked very well until 02/28/2014 at which time we had no heat again. This time we needed a Blower Fan Motor replaced. On 03/03/2014 the blower was replaced with a, Water Furnace ECM Blower Fan Motor 1/2 HP, 208/230 V-14P516B01 and again covered under warranty except for $278.20 in labor.
    The unit worked well again for one year, and on 03/19/2015, no heat. This time a bad capicator was found and a new Motor Run Capacitor was replaced. No warranty on this and the cost was $274.99.
    Again, the unit worked well until 12/27/2018. On this day we woke up to no heat and called the repair company. I am not using any names but we have used the same company to repair this unit that installed it. The repair men came out and informed us that our furnace needed a compressor again. They did not have the part nor could they give me an estimate on repair costs because according to them the Water Furnace Company warehouse was closed until after the New Year. So we have been using the emergency electric heat in our home while waiting for an estimate from the repair company. After no word from the repair company I phoned them on 01/07/2019 and left a message. The next day I got an e-mail estimate to replace the compressor with labor for a price of $3,567.67.
    Almost every part of this Water Furnace E-Series has been replaced and now after only 7 years the compressor needs replacing again. I would like some advice or insight as to what others would do with this furnace. My wife is at the point where she would like to have the unit removed and a gas furnace installed in it's place, me I am just angry!

2. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

Wow! How old is the original install?

3. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

You can buy a new Geo for that price...

4. IsItForMe

IsItForMe New Member

This is a rough set of failures, but most of all of those things could fail in a gas furnace as well. I am no pro and cannot recommend a particular direction for addressing your problem, but I would not give up on geothermal only because of these issues.

5. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

The difference is that it's easier to find a gas furnace guy vs Geo guy.

6. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

Maybe get a second quote and opinion from another reputable dealer.

7. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

You would be hard pressed to buy yet alone install a complete new geo unit for $3500. But going with a complete new unit would be something to consider. Some of the failures could have been caused by the previous failures, especially if tech didn't do a proper job. Either way, your system needs a thorough check to see if something is causing these failures. Either from poor design or some component has malfunctioned.

8. glw57air

glw57air New Member

I think the house was built in 2005 and I have no idea if the past owners had any problems with the Water Furnace or not. I have read on other sites that the E-Series Water Furnaces are no good and a lot of people are replacing them with a newer model that I cannot think of . It was said that the E-Series had problems with bad compressors, leaky evaporators etc. and were beinging replaced with a newer model. What are your thoughts?

9. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

I have no experience with WF. There are others on here that do though. From your experience and what you read elsewhere, I would say that is distinctly possible. If 13 years after install, I would have to spend $3500 on my unit, I would not be happy, but wouldn't be totally surprised. But you have had 1 thing after another. I would probably look pretty hard at installing a new unit and having the whole system thoroughly checked to make sure there is not a problem. $3500 is a good portion of the cost to go new, and then you can probably get a better unit as well.

10. glw57air

glw57air New Member

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and opinions, if anyone else has an opinion as to my problem it is greatly appreciated. I am having a second repair company coming tomorrow for their estimate and opinion, but I can't hold off to much longer because running the electric emergency heat is costing me a lot! I will post their estimate and opinion after I get it as well as what we decide to do. Thanks again to everyone!

11. glw57air

glw57air New Member

I had a second company come in to diagnose my no heat condition on my E-Series Water Furnace. The first company said I needed a compressor replacement at the cost of $3,500.00. The technician from the second company came in and started performing tests on this unit that I have never seen the other company ever do! Within 10 minutes he informed me that there was nothing wrong with my compressor, but I did have a bad capacitor and there was air in the system which meant it was low on water. He replaced the capacitor and pumped up to 60lbs water in the system and it is now running GREAT! The total cost, $431.37! The tech said the other company would have replaced the compressor and still had the same problem, at which they would have said that the bad compressor caused the capacitor to go bad and charged me more money to replace the capacitor and also to charge the system with water. Thanks to everyone and thank god for second opinions, this one saved me at least $3,100.00, and most likely more with the capacitor! Lesson learned, always, always get a second opinion! Thanks again everyone!!

Deuce likes this.
  12. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

You probably got a noob the first time. Good work!