Wanting Radiant Heating, But Not Radiant Cooling.

Discussion in 'Radiant Heating and Cooling' started by TJamesW, Dec 30, 2012.

1. TJamesW

TJamesW Member

Some patient fellows have convinced me that radiant heat is the way to go. I'll be building by a Great Lake so don't want to go down the route of radiant cooling. So I imagine ductwork and forced cold air.

Are there any considerations for the duct itself? Or is this standard duct we've all come to know and love?

Are there big considerations with selecting a hybrid heatpump or a water-water with hydronic air handlers?

Thanks for the thoughts-

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

At your location, you would probably better off with w-w with air handlers. A hybrid unit could be slightly oversized for cooling. Plus you could run your hot water tank 100% of the heatpump. On the other hand, if you have a lot of glass and a large heatgain, you might benefit from a 2 stage hybrid. As always, it depends....

3. TJamesW

TJamesW Member

Thanks Doc. I'm picturing standard duct and vents, right? Seems like both the supply and return would be up high if the duct is solely for cooling. Pull hot air from the upper wall / ceiling and dump cool air similarly.

I will keep in mind to see if my house is considered to have a lot of glass. I don't think so.

Thanks again.

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

TJamesW:

Did you look at the Unico site?

Mark

5. TJamesW

TJamesW Member

Mark, that Unico is very neat looking stuff! That would be fabulous. And it obviously works, as you're suggesting it. Thank you for that.