Quebec Using dye to locate a ground loop leak

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by farnorth, Feb 23, 2018.

1. farnorth

farnorth New Member

After repairing a lot of the indoor pipework between the loop and the machine, it now looks like I have a leak somewhere in the closed ground loop. We have two wells, each 300 feet deep, about 40 feet from the house.

We'll have to wait for the spring to do any digging, and will probably start from the wells and move back towards the house. The main suspects right now would be the welded fitting where the pipe switches from horizontal to vertical, or the pipes between the wells and the house. Either would be preferable to a leak in the vertical portion.

Is there any point adding dye to help locate the leak? I've never really understood why the dye would rise to the surface, and I'm not expecting a miracle. But if we're going to be uncovering the pipe anyway, would the dye create some kind of local staining in the ground around the leak?

Thanks for your help !

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

If you went with compressed air, you would hear it.

I've never used dye

3. mtrentw

mtrentw Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I've seen helium used with specialized detectors. CO with a 4 gas detector could work also, assuming you are able to purge and repressurize.

I used leak stop for a minor leak I had (about a cup a month). That was 4 years ago and no problems since.

4. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

I like the idea of pressing up the lines with compressed air. To make it easier to find the leak maybe cover the area where the lines are located with diluted biodegradable soap, detergent, or shampoo to get some bubbles going.

5. mtrentw

mtrentw Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You'd naturally get some bubbling as the water dispaced air entrained in the soil. This could be very possible though if the soil were thoroughly wetted and at saturation point. There are some great biodegradable detergents that could be quite beneficial for the lawn.