Saskatchewan Using Aux Heat

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BatocheBob, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

I need the expertise of a Professional re. ClimateMaster.

Can a ClimateMaster 27 run with both the 1& 2 stage heating and the Aux heating element running simultaneously?

Put another way if a call to the thermostat W terminal is made are the Y1 & Y2 terminals cut off?

This query follows the installation of my Ecobee3. As soon as a call is made to the W terminal power is cutoff to Y1 & Y2 since I have the power to my Aux heat element turned off the unit simply recirculates the room air and my room temperature drops. Thanks.

2. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

Not a pro here... I have a Tranquility 27 split (non-digital) and I can tell you that the compressor continues to run in stage 2 when my aux heat is energized.

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

There is a setting on the EcoBee 3 for exactly your issue. Compressor on when auxiliary called for Y/N

4. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Stickman, thanks for your response. That is the anser I expected and was pretty sure that's how my Climatemaster tStat worked.

urthbuoy, thanks for your response. I think the software in the Ecobee might be screwed up. There is a setting to use Aux simultaneously with Stage1/2. I had that disabled because I don't want to engage Aux. Furthermore I had the breaker open(off). In that situation when the Ecobee saw a need for aux, even though it was disabled, it switched to AUX(W) and switched off stages 1&2 (Y1,Y2) leaving me with cold air. I did enable simultaneous operation but left the breaker off. Now when there is a call for Aux all three stages run (even though the breaker is still off).

I did try another approach, I disabled simultaneous operation and set the Compressor to Aux heat Delta to 1C, something that will never happen, thinking that would trick the tStat into never calling for Aux. All that accomplished is Stage 1 never started and i was just blowing cold air. Not good behaviour

Thanks to both of you.

5. urthbuoy

You need to keep it enabled on the thermostat for the compressors to run with the auxiliary call. Whether the auxiliary actually runs is up to you.

I generally program those stats to only allow auxiliary to come on at a certain cold temperature.

6. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Urthbuoy, I do have it working by enabling Aux heat and leaving the breaker off. Trouble with this is it skews the logs. It shows that I am running hours of aux heat when I'm not. The one thing I haven't tried yet is to enable Aux heat, close my breaker and set the Comp-Aux delta to 1C. If I am correct this will actually have my aux heat powered but the delta should be such that there is never a call for Aux. Is this the way you do it? Thanks

7. urthbuoy

Something backwards, so I'll just go with what I do:

Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation: Enable

Aux Heat Max Temp: set this to -15C or so. Aux will not engage above that.

or muck around with the following stuff

Compressor Stage 2 Temp Delta: >1C (assuming 2 stage unit)

Compressor to Aux Temp Delta: >2C

Comp to Aux Runtime: >60min

But if you truly don't want anything auxiliary: turn the breaker off, and/or change your settings on the thermostat so it doesn't know you have auxiliary heat.

8. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Thanks, I do think there is something backwards about how this is behaving. I'll try it your way. I assume that the Ecobee senses the outdoor temperature from the weather data from my WEB portal. Thanks.

9. urthbuoy

Yes. It is "local" weather data. So we sometimes fudge our temps for staging a little. People at our ski hill 700m above the airport weather station for example.