Using a swimming pool as open loop

Discussion in 'Surface Water Loops' started by Poolman, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Poolman

Poolman New Member

I have seen this addressed several times. I have been in the pool business over 50 years. I live in South Carolina. Theses are the facts. I have a 16 x 36 x 5 ft deep pool 16'ooo gal. 3 ton water furnace unit 1500 sq ft (upstairs unit) to heat and cool. The 2 speed 3/4 hp superpump runs on low 24/7. $30 month. 8 gal per minute diverted thru heat pump. Approx 15 to 20 degrees across registers in house with 10 degree across pool intake to pool output. Maximum pool temp ever 100 degrees July 2015 evaporation 3/8 inch day @ 100 degree water 75 degree nights. Coldest water ever 28 degree. Moving water seldom freezes. Using Renaissance uv/ozone unit and copper/silver ionization instead of salt generator (which manufactures chlorine) or store bought chlorine (both are bad) You can drink my pool water. The system works like a top. Water temperatures are well within the parameters according to water furnace engineer Ok the pool gets a little too warm for comfort but you could cool it considerately with a spray fountain. I have talked several times with the engineers at water furnace and discussed efficiently and specifics of the installation. Damn right it works. Even with a small pool. If you have a pool you already have a loop. Runs as an open loop configuration. I use a solar blanket all winter. I 've had this thing running for 6 years. Don't let the technoweenies tell you it won't work. They probably don't know anything about pools. I don't know anything about heat pumps. But this setup works great. Poolman. . Johnsonproductsco.com

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

In your climate...

3. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

And good, bad, or indifferent, you have converted your swimming pool into a summertime hot tub. :)

FYI, I have an engineer buddy at work that also builds pools on the side, and he makes what he calls a "super collider" spray system (two sprays aimed toward each other that collide at the apex and break up into tiny water droplets) that significantly reduces pool temperatures.

4. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

No sure if I would like 100F EWT as a desired design temperature. EER decreases.

5. I love people who prove what can be done. I'm assuming that (Using Renaissance uv/ozone unit and copper/silver ionization instead of salt generator (which manufactures chlorine) or store bought chlorine (both are bad) You can drink my pool water) refers to using UV + silver to kill all the little algae "critters" that normally turn a pool into the Everglades Swamp ?

6. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

YUCK! I hate open loops even with silver.