Saskatchewan Uponor EP Manifolds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BatocheBob, Nov 18, 2015.

1. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Can anyone tell me if, in their opinion, Uponor EP manifolds rated at 14 gpm on the flow-through but limited to 1.2 gpm at each port are suitable for geothermal hydronic heat systems? Thanks

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Not sure about those specific manifolds. The Rehau ones I generally use have flowmeters to 4gpm on each circuit. And the flow is really just a matter of the size of piping you end up using. I can have 1/2" and 3/4" on the same manifold as an example.

3. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Thanks. I guess the question I should have asked is what is a typical flow rate or range for a typical geothermal radiant floor heat zone?

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

It will be very regional due to climate requirements. Not much radiant flooring in Florida I imagine.

I'm generally over 1gpm per circuit. Less than 2gpm.

5. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

it is design specific but we see alot of 1/2 gpm per loop on our 1/2", 300' loops.

6. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Good enough info to satisfy my curiosity; the system reaches setpoint and that's what counts. Thanks for the info..

7. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Keep in mind that geo works with more flow, lesser delta T.

If you have 1 GPM and 10F delta T, the max heat you can transfer is about 5,000 BTUs/h in that zone.

I usually open all the flowmeters fully, set a variable speed pump to low pressure, and let the zones self balance, and play with the pump speed. There will be the balance point where the PD in the shorter loops increases so much due to the higher flow that more flow will be directed to other zones.
    The benefit is very low pumping power needed.

8. BatocheBob

BatocheBob Member

Thanks Doc. Your comments and the others I received seem to support the theory that I am somewhat limited by my manifolds. Right now I am looking at my garage and the flow is 1 gpm and a delta T of 22 which by my calcs is providing 1.000+ btu. If I could get a bit more flow I'm thinking I would increase my btus and lower my delta T. Unfortunately the flowmeters are as open as they can be & the manifolds are maxed out. Fortunately, though not as efficient as it could be, I will reach the set point on my thermostat.

You know the old saying, 'ignorance is bliss' has a lot of merit. Until I had the issues with my 5th. zone I assumed everything was going good. When I started researching and trying to learn a bit I realized that the system design & components that I paid damn good money for may not have been the best choice for a thermostatically controlled geo thermal i.e. delta P variable circ pumps, manifolds that are limited to 1.2 gpm and a board design that many have questioned. Anyways thanks for the input.