Upgrade Thermostat on WaterFurnace Premier Intellizone 17P519A01

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lynn, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Lynn

Lynn New Member

I have a 16 y/o Water Furnace Intellizone 17P519A01 (serving 3 zones and controlling an AirZone vacuum damper system) and want to upgrade my thermostat system to the Honeywell Prestige IAQ. I have a couple of options and want to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Option 1. Completely replace the Intellizone system (since I will need to replace the Water Furnace geothermal system soon anyway) with the Honeywell Prestige IAQ thermostats linked by equipment interface modules to a zone controller (HZ432K). There are a couple of problems with this in that Honeywell indicates that the HZ432K is obsolete and being replaced, but they won't say by what, and they won't give me information about possible use of the HZ432K since I am not a contractor. Also, I don't know if the HZ432K outputs to the dampers will interface with the AirZone unit.

Option 2. I can keep the Water Furnace zone controller since I know it works with the AirZone damper system and then just use a single Honeywell Prestige IAQ thermostat to replace one of the current Water Furnace thermostats. The thermostat is a 2-wire model that would then use the equipment interface module to connect to the Water Furnace Intellizone board in place of the old thermostat. The thermostat is a 24VAC model and output amps range from 0.5 - 1.0, but I don't have any idea what the Intellizone board input ranges are. Maybe this is an industry standard, but I don't know. If this option worked, I could potentially then continue to use the Intellizone controller to serve as the input to my next geothermal system.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

2. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

The original IntelliZone directly controls the ECM fan motor in a Envision or earlier Waterfurnace models. I do not believe it will do that on any new replacement unit.

3. Lynn

Lynn New Member

That's helpful. Thank you. Would you know where I might find more info on the AirZone unit to help me interface with a new zone controller?

4. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Your existing IntelliZone and the HZ432 both control 2 or 3 wire 24 vac dampers. Whatever "interface" you have now with your AirZone should work with either. I am not familiar work any AirZone product so I can't help you there.

The original IntelliZone can work with 24vac 3H/2C thermostats when properly setup by moving a jumper at the zone panel. I believe the original WF thermostats are 24dc. You may have to change all thermostats to the same voltage type. IntelliZone instructions are here-
    https://www.waterfurnace.com/literature/intellizone/im1958.pdf

If you do replace your zone panel to a HZ432 and keep your existing WaterFurnace HP, you will have to revert fan control back to the HP internal control board by swapping ECM control wire harness back to the original and setting some dip switches on the IntelliZone and HP. The document above will help.

If you keep the IntelliZone and replace your HP, you will have to disable fan control at the zone panel.

Also, I have not heard any buzz about the HZ432 being discontinued or obsolete. Can you verify? Perhaps you where looking up a bundled kit that is no longer available.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  5. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Geoxne,

Thank you so much for your help. It seems that using the IntelliZone may make things more complicated. I think I will probably try to use the HZ432 to control the AirZone damper system, but I have to confirm the output. What I have found so far is:

IntelliZone is power on to close the dampers. When power is on to the AirZone and the damper is closed, I measure approximately 0.5V DCacross the terminals, 0.0V DC when open. The AirZone pump is 24VAC, but it seems it is low voltage DC to trigger the valves. I'm still working on this and plan to confer with someone with knowledge about circuits where I work.

HZ432, if I am reading it correctly has a 10V output to control the dampers.

I tried to find a notation about the HX432 being discontinued and did not find anything, so my apologies. I may have been looking at the YHZ432 which does seem to be obsolete on the Honeywell site.