Updating a pressurized loop for easier maintenance

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Frank Jones, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Frank Jones

Frank Jones New Member

I built a 4 unit building with geo HVAC that was completed in 2007. My Geo installer has since retired and I am having a hard time finding a new guy who will come into Philadelphia. We have not had many problems with the system other than coil replacements in a few of the units. I'm a contractor living in one of the units. My regular HVAC guy can service the individual units.

Occasionally I have to add a little bit of fluid to the pressurized loop system with a contraption I made. Occasionally I won't recognize the symptoms in time. It seems like it would be better to have a system that is more easily maintained. Would a Geo Prime tank or an Unpressurized Flow Center be better? Do I need variable speed pumps? How long do the Grundflos pumps last? We have one Waterfurnace Envision, two single speed units, and one two speed unit running off the loop. Do you think a highly skilled HVAC tech could install whatever it is I should install? He does not have a flush cart.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

4 units on a single loopfield, I would do nothing else but a central variable speed pump. Grundfos can last long, but would be interested on the setup.....do you have single pumps on each heatpump? What model number for the grundfos pumps? What model number for the heat pumps?