Maryland Trouble with waterfurnace heating below 32 interior temp

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MAH, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MAH

MAH New Member

I'm buying a house that has been empty and winterized for a while and the interior temp is below 32. The Honeywell IAQ thermostat is calling for heat, but nothing is happening (the blower is not blowing and the ground loop circulators are not flowing). While reading through the WF manual it calls for an return air temp greater than 50. Is my problem that my interior temp is below that? How can I start getting heat to be produced?

Thanks, Milan

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Turn on the power?

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes. The units want to see around 10C (50F) to get started. Basically your refrigerant pressures are likely low at these temps and the unit is locking out under a low pressure start.

We have come across this problem on new construction. You'll have to get the house pre-warmed somehow.

4. birkie

birkie Member

After you've checked the breakers to verify there is power to the unit, you can set the thermostat to run it in emergency heat mode and see if it starts running. This will run the aux heat strips, but not the compressor. If that works, then once you get above 50F or so, see if it runs in normal heating mode.

5. MAH

MAH New Member

The power is definitely on, the green led blinks and there are no error codes. The blower will circulate if I put it on manual. I will have to get the boiler piped in and heating.

Should there be an error light flashing for low temp?

Thanks for the help.

6. Mark Custis

The age of the system will determine if it will give you an error code. Units with the CMX, V1.0, control board needed to be jumped into test mode to tell your their secrets.

I hope the guys that winterized knew what to do for the boiler and the heat pump to say nothing of the boiler radiation. What does it look like the did to winterize? Turn off the water and add pink glycol?

Mark

7. MAH

MAH New Member

The boiler and radiators were drained. How do I'll the control board version? The build date is 12/6.

8. Mark Custis

What does 12/6 mean?

Drained may not be good enough.

Mark

9. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

ok did you try emergency heat?

10. MAH

MAH New Member

the motherboard is dated 12/06. The emergency heat is the boiler and it's going to take a couple days of work to get it going.

11. birkie

birkie Member

Wait, so you have some sort of waterfurnace water-to-air unit *without* electric resistance strips, and an (almost) functional hydronic system with a boiler and radiators? This thread is very light on fundamental details, and I think most people trying to help you are taking their best guess at the nature of the equipment you may have installed.

12. mtrentw

mtrentw Active Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

My part of Maryland is looking at temps in the 50's today. If it warms enough, try running it again.