Total NOOB questions. Please forgive.

Discussion in 'Open Loop' started by Doon1, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Doon1

Doon1 New Member

Hi Guys. Wow there have been very spirited discussions here with some of the DIY'ers. Unlike those folks I did research the SCDEC rules first. Then permited and dug my well to specs. Getting grout down a 20ft piece of pipe with a funnel on top was quite a pain but it worked. The trick was to have my wife beat on the pipe with a rubber mallet while I poured. My well is at 40 feet in 16 feet of water. My primary reason to dig the well was to water my lawn. I'm using an Ace Hardware 1.5 hp pump for that purpose.
    Now on to the Noob portion of this post. I was wondering if it is possible to run the 62F well water through an evaporator and then back down another 40 ft. well dug about 200 ft. from the first one. My home is a 1950 brick home. I've installed double paned thermal windows, thermal doors, R30 ceiling insulation, and R15 floor insulation. So it's pretty well insulated. My A/C unit is a 4 ton gas pack package unit. I take the top off over year to clean the evap and tray. there's room for in it for me to put another evap in it to test it with water but I thought I'd check with you guys to see if that would be a wasted effort.
    BTW I'm an automotive mechanic and teacher so it's ok if you get technical. Let's try to keep it light on the physics though.
    thanks for you time in advanced.
    John

2. Calladrilling

Calladrilling Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sorry that I can not help you out with the request.
    But I really wish there was a YouTube video of you grouting that well with a 20' pipe and your wife tapping it with a mallet! That's classic!

3. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes.

But some things to consider:

• double-walled heat exchanger to prevent contamination of refrigerant in to the water
      adequate water flow to prevent freezing
      not sure what refrigerant you are planning on using
      you'll have to be prepared for an overflowing discharge well

Likely a trial-and-error type process more than anything.

4. Doon1

Doon1 New Member

after reading through my post i relized I didn't even ask a question and my meaning might be a little vague. I'll try to be more clear.
    I plan on continuing to use natrual gas for winter heating so freezing isn't a concern. I want to loose the cost of running the A/C compressor and just use the water pump that consumes less than half of the electricity.
    Can I use water as the refrigerant and not as the medium to cool the freon?

Thanks again
    John

5. urthbuoy

Fan coil

I think you are now talking hydronic fan coil? Sure, have at it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. urthbuoy

Fan coil

I think you are now talking hydronic fan coil? Sure, have at it. Look for one that matches your spec's (water flow, temperature, cooling load, etc).

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

62*F water is nowehere near cool enough to extract enough heat from air flowing through a hydronic coil to do much good. It might pick up 1/2 to 1.0 ton of mostly sensible cooling on a 4 ton system, depending on thermostat setpoint and humidity.

I doubt it would be worthwhile given the cost of pumping water.

You could spray maybe 1-2 GPM onto the outdoor unit's coil whenever the compressor is running. That would almost certainly increase efficiency, although you'd have to beware scaling and be sure not to spray water into electrical boxes.

8. Doon1

Doon1 New Member

So There wouldn't be enough temp. difference to bring the inside temp. down to 75F? I thought if i ran 2 seperate coils (1 behind the other) with 6 gpm going into each one it would be enough. But I was just guessing.
    how cold does a home A/C evaporator core get? I started thinking about inside Rh and did some calculations and it would seem that at 75F I would have to have an evaporator temp of around 52F to keep the Rh below 50. Is this right?
    Even if the 62F evaporator could keep the temp at 75F I would still need a seperate dehumidifier wouldn't I?
    Would I relize a cost saving spraying a couple of gallons of water in the condenser? There would really be no way to recover that water and re-intruduce it into the water table. I have a mister fan at work for those 100F days. the water pretty much evaporates before it hits the ground. Would the condenser evaporate the water sprayed onto it so i wouldn't have to worry about collecting it?
    Thanks
    John