Tossing my tinfoil hat in to the ring,

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mark Custis, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

What are we up to?

So we want comfort?

Do we want something to do online?

Do we want to save the planet?

Do we want to have the utility companies to pay us. to live/heat/cool?

We know this type of system works if properly designed and installed. Why are we here doing this?

Why are you here?

This is why I am here:

I like it. It is fun for me. What a hoot I get to making my hobby into my livelyhood.

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Why are we here?

WOW that is covered on another theology forum!

I came here to get smarter because I had a problem. I gained a little knowledge, solved my problem, and stuck around to help other people solve theirs. I am still geting smarter, and still will not use a csv.

3. Mark Custis

LOL at WP

Me too.

Life is good.

They fed me long winded at supper.

4. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

...sounds like you're approaching the smartness asymptote,

Looby

5. Mark Custis

I thought we

needed a vented thread.

Or a venting thread. I hate EVRs.

6. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

CSV thread has been a hoot.

7. Mark Custis

^^^^

grabs back his hat.

8. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

homework? aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

O.K. Looby you got me with "asymptote". I did not have a clue. When I went to wikepedia all was clear to me, I went surfing that day instead of school. lol
    Seeing and reading the definition for that made my eyes bleed. I sure am thankful that people get that, cause I sure do not!

9. gabby

gabby Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

asymptotes to the hyperbola---in trig or geometry, the line drawn that never touches the sides of the figure....more or less parallel to the legs

10. moondawg

moondawg Member

less parallel. :^)

11. Looby

Looby Member Forum Leader

Engineering and Mathematics for English majors:

A mathematician and an engineer agreed to take part in a psychological
    test. They sat on one side of a room and waited, not knowing what to
    expect.

A door opened on the other side and a naked woman came into the
    room and stood on the far side. They were then instructed that every
    time they heard a beep they could move half the remaining distance
    to the woman.

They heard a beep and the engineer jumped up and moved halfway
    across the room while the mathematician continued to sit, looking
    disgusted and bored. When the mathematician didn't move after the
    second beep he was asked why. "Because I know I will never reach
    the woman."

The engineer was asked why he did choose to move and replied,
    "Because I know that very soon I will be close enough for all
    practical purposes!"

...alles klar?

Looby

12. moondawg

moondawg Member

13. engineer

Electrical Engineers design weapon systems
    Mechanical Engineers design the delivery systems

Civil Engineers design the targets.

A chemical engineer is an individual who believes electric power is available at any voltage, any current, anywhere in the plant at no cost.

"Engineering estimates" refer to construction costs in heaven.

Three engineers argued as to God's engineering backround via aspects of the human body:

Mech E - "just look at the elegance an functionality of the muscular/skeletal system - God must be an ME."

EE - "Nonsense - that's nothing compared with the nervous system and brain CONTROLLING the bones and muscles - God has to be an EE"

Civil - "Nah - you're both wrong - only a Civil Engineer would run a wastewater disposal system through an otherwise splendid recreation area..."

14. Mark Custis

Very funny guys.

I went to school with a Mr. Honda.

LOL

I just hate it when I can not get the graph to the axis.

15. gabby

EE's are the bravest

Who else works with something they can't see but will kill them in an instant if they make one little "whoopsie!"

Some EE's are crazy....see above.

Not all EE's know how to wire a house, understand power distribution, or understand the concept of high voltage. Large scale integration engineers consider 5 volts DC as high voltage. DSP engineers consider 15 volts DC as high voltage. Power distribution engineers consider anything above three phase 480 AC volts as high voltage, while instrumentation and consumer electronic engineers consider anything above a 9 volt battery high voltage.

There are a few misconceptions floating around about engineers in general.

Not all engineers have pocket protectors.
    Not all engineers have a "slip-stick" (slide rule) or know how to use one.
    Not all engineers drive a Volvo.

16. Waukman

Waukman Member

If they have even heard of them that is...... :D

17. engineer

I'm one of those EEs - 20 years out of college, marginally able to wire a house and best not allowed near 3 phase 480 and up. I regret not going with Mech E instead.

18. gabby

Well being a kid on the block has advantages. You can still learn from others with the same degree, and not too old to be stuck in your ways.
    I have found that all engineers can cope with things outside their expertise. It just takes a little guidance and explanation with real world experience when deviating from your comfort zone. It's all physics, in one shape or another, with common sense as a foundation.

When was the last time someone asked you to determine the electric charge (in coulombs) of an electron using Milkin's oil drop test procedure? Did that help you rebuild your lawn mower, change out a water tank, or put together a playset for your kids? I don't think the courses in thermodynamics would help much either.

The real world, with job changes doing different things in the same field, is the best teacher. If you are fortunate enough to have multiple disciplines for the same education at one company, then you have a university on site. The widget maker, or ground support personnel are a wealth of knowledge. They can teach you to be a better engineer as well as help you sharpen skills you didn't know you had.

I went from aircraft navigation and instrumentation (funny little guages on the pilots and navigators instrumentation panal) to repairing mass spectrometers/gaschromatographs, to a EE working on control systems for chemical lab equipment. Throw in a stint as a high voltage power house person, and then a GC for lab modifications and I learned more in the field than I ever did at college. I didn't make a lot of money, but I developed skill sets that allowed me to save a fortune because I could do it myself.

A few years ago I knew nothing about satellite dishes, switching arrangements, and systems. Since then I have written a manual that I gave to the satellite community, so the average joe could configure whatever he needed, accompanied with over a hundred diagrams in picture format, not schematic format.
    I only mention this to show you can do anything, and learn anything if you have the desire or curiosity to do it. In my case I was so anal and pissed about the gross amount of misinformation out there causing people to waste money on products that couldn't work with their system that I decided to make a reference for the advanced user and new user.
    It was my gift to them for all the information I received during the learning process. The student became the teacher...LOL

PS--a friend of mine got an ME degree...worked a few years in structural analysis, and went back to school to become an architect. He started his own company designing buildings and residentual homes from the foundation up. He is 80 now and still plays around doing the fun things (talking to clients and selling his services), leaving his employees to do the work. He is very wealthy and highly respected in the building community.
    I believe he told me it took him 2 years to become an architect.

19. Mark Custis

Gabby:

What a nice essay.

I am compressed.

Let us get back to work.

yours in Cleveburg,

Mark

20. gabby

Mark

I have a nice design for a tinfoil hat.....only problem it interferes with communication from E.T.

Stress is the magic ingredient to innovation.

One must always allow time for panic.:p