swimming pool sizing

Discussion in 'Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs' started by awthacker, Apr 11, 2010.

1. awthacker

awthacker New Member

Does anyone know of a free software to help size for a swimming pool. The pool being planned for is a probable add-on after the home is completed. The pool would be 8,000 gallons and the homeowners desire is to keep the pool around 86 degrees. She is not looking to heat it year-round, but just extend the season by a couple months before & after summer. We are in NE Florida and have 72 degree groundwater here. Also, any recommendations on brands would be appreciated. We are planning on using ClimateMaster two-stage condensers with Carrier airhandlers.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Size the pool? Size the heat loss? or size the geothermal system?

Pool heat loss calculations are relatively established - no software required. Just do a google search.

3. awthacker

awthacker New Member

The pool would be 8000 gallons. What I would be looking for is how to select a pool hat pump to tie into the well water geothermal system. How to size it and recommended brands/models.

Thanks

4. teetech

teetech Member Forum Leader

Based on your information it looks like a 3 ton W to W would work if you cover the pool at night.
    Pool covers make a big difference in heat loss at night.
    Secondary heat exchanger is recommended for pool applications.

5. awthacker

awthacker New Member

So the secondary heat exchanger would typically require about 3 GPM per ton (9 GPM)?

6. teetech

teetech Member Forum Leader

GPM

That is correct.
    Often the pool pump is used for flow through the secondary heat exchanger.
    A three valve bypass before the chlorine injector with compressor interlock is recommended.

7. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Pool volume in gallons is a relatively unimportant consideration in calculating pool heat load. Pool volume is effectively constant so does not impact system design to maintain a desired temperature.

There are three other much more significant design considerations for this calculation.

Standard geo GPM per ton rules of thumb don't translate well to pool heat applications. Flow rates and Delta-Ts are quite different for pools, directly affecting COP.

8. awthacker

awthacker New Member

Might be best to let the homeowner contact her pool contractor to size the pump. Problem is, there is no pool contactor because the pool is a potential add-on later on after the home is constructed. I've found formulas for caclulating heat loss for a pool, but nothing useful. Surface area is 300 sq ft. Coldest months used would be April/October. Desired temp is 86. I can see where the flow rate would be helpful.

Anyone have any opinions on choosing a larger than necessary pump to accomodate a potential add-on down the road? It doesn't necessarily seem like a good idea to me, but I think in terms of HVAC. If we're just beginning construction of the home, and the pool is not in the plans, and the home is occuping exactly 50% of the lot then we could be at risk of oversizing the pump for a pool that may never exist or that may not be constructed for years to come.

9. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Heck I don't like sizing equipment for 100% of the load in heating dominated climates, let alone adding capacity. LOL
    Tell homeowner it's a modular system with expandability (expand the load-add another heat pump "module" to the mechanical room).
    Seriously, if you are open loop it is relatively in expensive to add another pump down the road, but if you are oversized now you may raise operating costs (due to larger than needed compressor) and dump an extra kgal of water each year.
    If you are closed loop, the only thing I might do is suggest h/o by extra loops now.
    Good Luck,
    Joe

10. Macksmith

Macksmith New Member

Your best bet is a combination of factors. You would do well to increase the size of your above ground piping to 2", as well as downsizing the pump horsepower. Increases in efficiency allow you to drop the hp rating, and still move more water. Increasing the piping size will allow you to utilize most, if not all, of the increased flow rate. You didn't mention your current pump hp, but normally you can downsize at least 1/2 hp and still see greater flow rates. You'll save on your electric bill as well by making these changes.And Pool Leak Repair service helps you in bringing all these changes ,they are experts and also belongs to Florida.

11. thoughty1955

thoughty1955 Banned

For maximum summer escapes pool filter pump are approximately twice as long on one facet as they are on the other.