Summer T-stat settings (WF Series 7)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Neokane, May 24, 2016.

1. Neokane

Neokane Member

Is the theory behind setting the thermostat at the desired setpoint and leaving it still applicable during the cooling months? Or Is there efficiencies to be had by programming on cooling?

To complicate things even more is programming the thermostat more applicable to single stage/dual stage units versus variable speed units? (I have a WF Series 7.)

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

set it and forget it...
    If you leave the house for a longer time, you can set it higher.

With the 7 series, you should get symphony, and control your equipment from your iPhone.

3. Neokane

Neokane Member

Already have it! ;)

4. docjenser

You should be all set then.

Set it to what gives you the most comfort.

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Good old comfort.

6. the blur

the blur Member

I see no reason to leave it on all day long when no one is home during the summer. I set it to 71 when home, and 80 when no one is home. It recovers fast enough, and no reason to waste energy when no one is home.

7. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

"no reason to waste energy when no one is home"

I'm don't think there is a "sure fire" way to determine if running at full capacity long enough to drop 9* uses less electricity then maintaining a set temp all the time, especially with a variable speed unit like the WF series 7.

8. docjenser

I agree. If you are going on a vacation, sure, turn it off. But on a daily basis with the 7 series, I am not sure if you gain any savings. In full capacity mode, the unit runs significantly less efficient than in low stage all day long.

9. geoxne

geoxne Active Member Forum Leader

Neokane

With the Symphony energy monitoring capabilities, you have all the tools to run your own home experiment to compare "set it and forget it" to "unoccupied setback" control strategies for energy conservation. Try your best to compare during similar outside conditions. A peak at the extended forecast will help you choose similar test periods. Or, switch methods every 24 hrs for 6 or more days in a row and see if the daily energy usage graph tends to move up and down between daily periods.

I have a hunch during relatively short setback "daily" periods the thermal mass and inertia (all the objects inside the envelope) of the structure will raise in temperature enough to put a significant load on the system during recovery. Maybe enough to negate any significant difference in energy usage. Your experiment will help answer your question and help quantify any difference. Let us know.