Standing column vs. grouted column

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by martyg, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

DeWayne

This might be worth doing. I would drive the monster home, but if they have airplanes in Utah that fly to any place close to CLE we could watch, teach, eat, drink beer and grout with pretzels.

I like what Andy has to say and I think he adds great things here. I missed Eric due to a snow storm, but am headed back his way for the cherry blossom thing.

Mark

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am allways ready to go on the road, however the logistics of the drill rig on the PA northeast extension send a shiver down my spine. lol I am in the process of mounting a "go pro" video cam to a helmut for my uw exploits, a limited release of what it looks like drilling from my perspective might be fun?
    Eric

3. martyg

martyg New Member

System installed and running

First I'd like to reply to all that thought I was confusing the concept of a "standing column" and vertical close loop installation. A delayed response to my question about installing closed vertical loops in a standing column of water with no grout, using the water as a heat transfer medium came from Philip Rawlings, of the IGSHPA. My reasoning was correct and this practice was used in the early days of GSHP but proved to be unreliable due to stability of the static water level in the bore holes. 'nogh said.

I contracted with an HVAC contractor who is certified by the IGSHPA and let him install the entire project (same contractor who has been installing my conventional work for the past eight years). His well driller (also certified) drilled and grouted the bore holes at a less expensive rate (price/ft.) than the quotes I was getting on my own. We installed a Climate Master 27, 3-ton, package system in the crawl space. Initial setup ratings indicate 38,500 BTU and the engineer who did the set up suggested that might increase to as much as 48,000 as the back fill dirt around the lead in loops settled. My contractor sized everything by running calculations and we ended up with two 290' holes. We also installed a third 270' bore and connecting pipes to my freestanding office for a future unit there. My bore hole installation was difficult because the driller has to cross a creek to get to the bore hole field and the connecting loops had to be dug through the creek. It rained three times during the installation, what a mess.

While the weather in Raleigh is mild, we have used the heat and air and both are produced as well as the old (high efficiency) Propane/ electric system we replaced.

Needles to say, I'm very happy!

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Congratulations!!
    I am glad you had a happy outcome to your project.
    P.S. everyone allways thinks that the well driller is a glamorous job? Your project specifics plus the rain proves otherwise. lol
    Eric

5. martyg

martyg New Member

That was the short version of the drillers problems. He drilled and filed the first hole on his first day. On the second day he drilled the second hole, filled it and then startedd his third hole. He hit approx 40 gallons/min. at 170' and his drill sucked all of the grout out of the second hole (the one he had just filled). He had to re-grout that hole. Then when he tried to drive his equipment out of the bottom he got his service truck stuck in the muck and spent five hours getting it out! Not glamoarous at all.;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011