Standing Column Pumping Energy

Discussion in 'Standing Column Well (SCW)' started by Blake Clark, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DavidCraig

DavidCraig Member

Blake, thanks for the info. I considered SWC with an abandoned well but did not pursue it because, 1) there is less info about making it work verses a closed system; 2) pumping power required; 3) quality of water here.

A few questions:

Your $121 electric bill - was that your whole house or your heating submetered? What are you charged per kwatt?

Pumping is 1.5 amps - so 360 watts? What controller(s) do you use to achieve that?

How low does your EWT get?

The water quality problem I faced was that the well gets a lot of slime and was concerned it might plug any filtering. Also, the slime is made from a bacteria that generates methane and hydrogen sulfide. These gases interfere with any sort of vacuum that would be in the discharge line unless system was run with higher pressures - which would drive up pumping costs. Otherwise, from a mineral standpoint, nothing is corrosive or causes buildup.

I settle with a closed vertical loop, 1.5" pipe, ungrouted well. EWT is ~40 during heaving heating demand (much of this winter). Pumping is 197 watts.

2. timothyf

timothyf New Member

Blake, would your set up still be worth the effort with only a 15' head, 400' well, variable speed SQE Grunfos pump, and a 3T geo unit? Would you achieve relatively the same efficiency by just installing a mechanical pressure reducing valve on the geo inlet line (after the pressure tank and house water/geo T), but without the added electronics and transducers?

3. Douglas Bittinger

Douglas Bittinger New Member

Blake, I'd like more details on your system and how did the subdivision project go??