Split unit vs package unit waterfurnace

Discussion in 'Quotes and Proposals' started by makonkey, Oct 17, 2011.

1. makonkey

makonkey New Member

I have been given a quote for a split unit with a water furnace NDZ026 with a trane air handler TAM7A0A24 with a cost of $5560 and $2690 for the cost of the equipment.

I wanted to go with a package unit also the water furnace a NDH026 and the quote from the same people was $9651.

Both quotes include a desuperheater. From a separate group I got a quote for a waterfurnace NDH038 of $9500. So to me it seems like the price for the package unit NDH026 is way to high.

The reason for the contractor wanting to go with the split unit is so the crawlspace dugout would not have to be enlarged.

Any information anyone can give me would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

The difference in price between units wholesale is nominal. The difference between a split system with lineset and air handler and a package unit is labor.I don't know what you mean by "way to high" I don't know what's included, I don't know each company's overhead etc.The best way for you to find out what a good price in your area is, is to keep shopping.What is high in NJ might be cheap in Los Angeles.j

3. makonkey

makonkey New Member

I guess my concern is the package unit cost vs the split unit. From the quote I got it would seem that there is a 4000$ difference with and without the airhandler. I would have expected the package unit to cost less than a split plus an air handler.
    :confused:

4. engineer

engineer Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Incremental cost per added ton is very low

Why didn't the split system quote utilize the WF air handler?

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

My concern remains the same as well. You have too small a sample to judge local rates for geo.j