Slow Closing Solenoid Valve Options Canada

Discussion in 'Open Loop' started by glenski_31, Nov 19, 2012.

1. glenski_31

glenski_31 New Member

Hi Guys:

Just installed my open loop goethermal and the solenoid valve that came with the heat pump (Erie Pop Top) is not closing off against the pressure.

From everything I read the best solution is to put in an irrigation valve. My question though is, does anyone know of an irrigation valve that is 24VAC and that comes with an end switch? My heat pump is a commercial grade (McQuay) and I believe the way that it confirms water flow is via an end switch on the solenoid valve.

Can anyone confirm or help out.

Thanks again,
    Glen

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Pvr

An option is installing a pressure reducing valve. This will allow you to work with what you have.

Valves that can work with that pressure differential can be expensive.

I am assuming you've connected this to a domestic system that shuts off around 60 psi or so? Common issue in these situations. And I prefer the pressure reducing valves as I can source replacement valves easier if required.

3. glenski_31

glenski_31 New Member

Yep correct connected to a domestic system set at 30-50 (sorry for the lack of info up front) I was also considering a PRV. Perhaps that is the way to go.

Will this impact the HP coil by reducing the system pressure? If anything I would think it would prolong the life of the coil?

This seems to make a lot of sense because I can get a PRV to bring the pressure down to about 20/30 PSI (about 50 bucks at the big orange) which would bring me into the range where a conventional zone valve for heating would be able to work against this close off pressure. Is this what you would typically do?

I don't like adding components to a system but I think this one make alot of sense, ignoring of course the pumping energy required which is an issue with open loop.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,
    Glen

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hp

The heat pump won't care about pressure at all. Just flow. So the PRV can be installed on the heat pump supply line - not your main. Just to clarify.

I can still give info on high pressure switches. What is your pipe sizing?

5. glenski_31

glenski_31 New Member

I have 3/4" Pex right now with a pressure independent Bell and Gossett balancing valve on the hose kit supplied with the HP so it will give me the flow (+/- 5%) regardless of pressure.