Self installed Geo units has anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by tshel, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tshel

tshel New Member

Hi, I have been researching Geo units, interviewed several installers, and had selected ours. I arranged financing, and was ready to go. This took many months and in the interim the price quoted went up $5,000 to $38,000. The installer is set to bring his engineer in on Wednesday to do some calculations. Last night my husband mentioned that our neighbor found units for sale online and was possibly going to install his himself. This morning my husband sent me a link to the website (Ingram Heating and Cooling). I am assuming that he wants to now install our unit himself.
    I am not happy with this as I have lived without heat or air for more than 7 years and I am done. I need heat! So my question is, has anyone installed a unit themselves, used Ingram or any place similar and what was your experience? I can't go another winter without heat, however; I know my husband is thinking about the difference of a $6,000 unit plus drilling versus a $38,000 installed unit. I need answers fast before the installer comes out on Wednesday. The $38,000 loan is going to be a challenge financially, but we will recoup some of it from our tax refund at the beginning of the year.

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Is the duct work there?

3. tshel

tshel New Member

Yes, the duct work is there. Our old units need to be removed and the ducts need to be checked. I am not sure if they will need to be replaced or just cleaned.

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes, many of gone the DIY route. If you have the time vs. the money, this may be the way to go for some. Keep in mind, warranty and service can be a future issue.

Some of us on here work fairly regularly with DIYrs in various manners. If our client wants to go this route, for brevity, we just get the customer to pay us for a design. We hand off your design, drawings, etc. and step back. From that point forward, if we get involved again, it is under a time and materials basis. But at some tipping point, the onus is on us to install a quality product and we become liable for more and more of the DIYrs work the more they rely on us. So honestly, some contractors are completely justified in not wanting to be involved with DIYrs.

5. Mark Custis

I maybe able to help by email.

Old unitS tells me a tail.

Mark

6. geopete01

geopete01 New Member

I did a DIY with the help of a contractor - someone on the forum. They looked over my heat load calculations and ductwork to make sure that a heat pump would work. Then ordered parts and had them drop shipped to my home. I put the unit in place, ran plumbing and electrical. The contractor came in, connected the geo to the ductwork then did the configuring and start up.

I think it worked out pretty well. I saved quite a bit from the quotes I had from the big installers in the area PLUS I believe I ended up with a better solution in the end. I considered Ingram as well and probably would have been OK that way, but if something doesn't work right I would hate to have to work with an online company after self installing. If you want to go DIY, I would suggest maybe seeing if there is a forum member (contractor) in your area that supports DIY like urthbuoy suggested.

Also, mine was an open loop so bit easier than your install.

7. tshel

tshel New Member

Mark thanks what is your email address?

8. tshel

tshel New Member

Thank you for your response. I am not sure our contractor has the time to deal with us doing it ourselves. Our state tax incentives end December 31st so there is a huge push to get everything installed before then.

9. geopete01

geopete01 New Member

tshel,

I would guess most contractors will not work with DIYers - too big of risk/hassle I would think. Some will though, so you might be able to stall the Wednesday appointment and find someone local who will work with you.

10. Mark Custis

11. What state do you live in.
    I know states like North Carolina require that all Geothermal systems be installed by IGSHPA drillers and installers.
    They are much harder on us than Virginia.
    So check with your local code officials about the geothermal DYI versus inspections
    Haven't heard the best about Ingram's. But I do not know cause we buy direct instead of thru someone else.

12. tshel

tshel New Member

We are in NC.

13. tshel

tshel New Member

I just spoke with our local code inspector and he said DIY is allowed but that it could take 30 days for someone who has never installed one to install one. Special equipment to pressurize the system, and a license to buy the freon. DIY will not allow for tax rebates but... the savings on the DIY would negate the need for the tax credit.