Indiana Review on my ClimateMaster TE30-049

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Testimonials' started by Todd, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

I replaced my 20 year old 4 ton WF Premier with a CM TE-30 4 ton unit in August. The WF was working just fine, but being 20 years old and finishing a complete remodel of the home left only the geo unit to be updated.

I only owned the home about 4 months before installing TE-30 and during much of that time the old geo unit was turned off during the remodel.

One thing I did not like about the old setup was the large pressure tank and single speed pump I had for my well. The noise from the Taco Valves was noisy when the pressure tank exceeded 50 PSI. For the new setup I installed a Grundfos variable speed pump and run it @ 40 PSI for the geo unit. The well in my home is only for outdoor use and the geo unit. My installer will be installing a 30 PSI valve on the geo unit (per the manual instructions) and so I can run higher pressure on my outdoor spigots without affecting GPM through the geo unit. My system is open loop.

Anyway, the new CM TE-30 has been spectacular so far. My home is 2300 sq ft up and 2300 sq in the basement also finished. My highest electric bill for the entire home August through December of this year has been $97. My home was remodeled with LED lighting and newer energy efficient appliances; however, I also have quite a few 1970s-1990s full size arcade games that draw significant power and we keep the home 72F year around. I also have 3 refrigerators. Out KwH rate comes in @ 11.8 cents. Electricity is fairly inexpensive here. I do have a natural gas dryer, range, hot water and fireplaces. Our gas bill averages $35 per month. As far as efficiency goes I can't see a better solution.

Initially, the installer set up the thermostat to control the modulating valve using DeltaT of 9F heating and 16F cooling. During the first two days I kept getting LT1 lockouts because the valve would overshoot trying to obtain the correct DeltaT. The solution was to manually program valve % positions and disable the DeltaT programming. My water temperature here is a constant 55F in the summer and 53.5F in the winter. I set the cooling 1st stage at 62% and 72% for stage 2. This yields a 20F DeltaT for cooling. For heating I set the valves at 65% and 75% and that yields a 11F DeltaT with a 42F LWT and 39.5F LT1 Temp. I think I could restrict the valves down to 62 and 72% for heating and still be safe avoiding LT1 low temps.

Since manually setting the valves I have had zero problems and love the operation of the unit through the easy to use thermostat. I have noticed that the contactor does make a mild constant buzzing sound even when the unit is not running and the compressor seems to make more of a humming noise than it was new, but this may have always been this way and now I am just more sensitive.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone considering upgrading their HVAC system.

2. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Impressive performance. The variable speed well pump will not last long, you save energy now but you'll be buying a new one in a few years.

3. Todd

Todd New Member

You may be right, but I think my pump will actually run longer being variable speed. The reason I say this is that it only runs when the geo unit it running and it is running at a constant speed since the geo unit has a fixed valve opening size for each stage. I use city water for every day water needs. Instead of my pump cycling on and off every 2 minutes fluctuating between 30 and 60 PSI it is starting and stopping twice per hour running about 15 minutes max at a time making 40 PSI the entire time it is running. Time will tell.

4. TKB4

TKB4 New Member

in my recent well pump replacement experience I decided against the variable speed pump . I understand that the variable speed pump will not have many on off cycles but it appears likely that the pump control unit will not last more than a few years and that costs in the neighborhood of $400 each time it goes out even though the pump itself may last much longer . I chose to go with the minimum hp pump to supply the gpm required to save energy with the SQ gunfos and a cycle stop valve and 4 gallon well tank. If the SQE pump controller dies you can continue to use the SQE pump as a SQ pump without the variable speed controller and you still get the soft start etc and you . You can also supply lower psi water to the geothermal unit to pump water more efficiently. This can be set up to still allow higher pressure to other household or irrigation needs. The cycle stop valve will allow pump to stay on any time demand is more than 1 gpm with 2hp or smaller well pump so any time geothermal is requiring water the pump will also stay on just as with the variable speed pump. The cycle stop valve should also reduce electricity to run pump but use more than the variable pump but probably in the range of $20 a month or so for most setups.

5. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

TK - I use the CSV myself, but I have since moved to closed loop. I still have it in place. You made a good decision to go with a minimum hp pump.