Retrofitting existing under ground tubes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Walkawalka, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Walkawalka

Walkawalka New Member

About ten years ago we pulled our irrigation well. It had two tubes. One ten inch with a quarter mile of run to the north. One twelve inch with three quarters of mile run to the west. All buried more than four feet. Probably more like six to eight feet.
    I would like to build a winter greenhouse and I was wondering about the feasibility of pulling air through the ten inch pipe. I think the soil temp is around 55°.
    Do you think it is a good idea? Will it be efficient enough to justify me digging the hole to tie into it?

How large of fans would you use? I have twelve inch bin fans. How do you set them on a thermostat. Do I want to pipe it directly into the building or pass through a heat exchanger.

I can't spend a lot of money on this project but do have most of the materials on hand. Including lumber, valves, irigation fittings, and insulation bricks. I have electricity and water close at hand.

I know this is not your usual installation but I see an opportunity. Its in the right spot and the price is right.

I also thinking of burying a 500 gallon tank to act as a water thermal mass reservoir.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

On paper, 10" rounds give you about 325 cfm of airflow. You could come up with some high static pressure fans and boost that a bit, but for a greenhouse, you won't be getting much tempered air out of those size pipes.

Combine the two pipes as two incoming lines and you are getting into the 3 ton world. Not bad. But are these pipes connected? Or how are you pushing/pulling air through them?

3. Walkawalka

Walkawalka New Member

4. Walkawalka

Walkawalka New Member

The one that runs east from the we'll head run right under where I want to put my greenhouse. I was thinking of rigging a grain bin dryer fan on a thermostat. The the dryer fan would be attached in line in the pipe and then Y off up to the floor of the green house. I don't need to move alot of volume of air. I just want to keep it around 55 60 degrees inside the green house.

5. nc73

nc73 Member

Can't hurt. You should see results, maybe not the range you're looking for.

6. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

But where is the source of air to start? Where do the pipes end?

And if you only supply to the space you will create a pretty good pressure build or have large extrusion of air.

7. Walkawalka

Walkawalka New Member

Could I put a stack on top the building and make it a passive system? They come out of the ground and would of connected to a pivot that is gone on the quarter mile run the other one was for flood irrigation.