Indiana Replacing old unit, need advice for new unit.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rjstevens, Oct 29, 2020.

1. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

My 28-year-old bard unit compressor is locked up. I know it’s time to do a geothermal change out. In my research I am leaning towards water furnace. Deciding if I should go with a 4 ton series 7 or a series 5.
    I have a 1-1/4” horizontal ground loop 2000’ long buried 6’ deep. My supply duct is 12 x 20 running through the crawlspace. Of course it gets smaller as it goes. My home is a 2550 square-foot ranch style home(single level). It is a well insulated home built in 1992. The bard geothermal unit was original to the house. I would love to hear your advice. Which water furnace unit do I go with? Or is there another brand you would recommend.

2. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

3. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

You got a good run from the old system. Go with the 7 Series if you want the lowest operating cost and best comfort. If you don't want to spend that much, get the dual-stage 5 Series.

In either case, get a variable speed flow center, all the performance and energy monitoring options, the Symphony TSAT, Aurora Web Link, and the desuperheater option with a buffer tank.

rjstevens likes this.
  4. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

Thank you for your response.
    I am certainly leaning towards the series 7! With the tax rebate of 26%, it only makes a Series 7 $3,000 more than series 5. I’m willing to make that sacrifice for comfort and quietness(not to mention more efficient).
    I have been doing a lot of research online since my compressor locked up on me. I found the answers on this form to be very knowledgeable and helpful. So I thought I would get some opinions here before I pull the trigger, which hopefully will be real soon!

5. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

If you have anyone that's a dealer for the Q Energy brand, I would look into them. Ours is super quiet and backed with a really good warranty.

6. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

Thank you for the reply.
    I looked them up. No dealers anywhere near me and I don’t see an option for a downflow unit.

7. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

Another question I would like to add to this. My original unit was an upflow unit and after it came out of the top it did a 180° turn and went down next to the geothermal unit to go into the crawlspace. It does make more sense to shift the unit over on top of the ductwork going to the crawl to make it a downflow unit, correct?

8. rjstevens

rjstevens New Member

Still patiently waiting and looking forward to some of your thoughts.

9. SShaw

SShaw Active Member Forum Leader

It might make sense to use a down flow unit, but you need to make sure you will have an adequate supply plenum in that configuration. This is probably something your installer needs to evaluate.