replacing geo heat pump question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nightowl, Jun 12, 2016.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

I have a 2000 sq ft tri level house. I bought the house 10 years ago. There is a water furnace that takes care of the mid and lower level, around 1200 sq feet. The upstairs 3 bedrooms and 2 baths are on a heat pump that was replaced just before I bought the house.
    The geo stopped working in April due to the coil leaking refrigerant. $2000 to replace the coil, the unit is 20 years old so was advised to replace for around $10,000.
    I am planning on selling the house this or next year.
    Does it make sense to have the geo only supplying part of the house?
    I live in NW Ohio where the winters can be quite cold so the heat pump has to rely on the aux backup if I run it. If I was going to stay and had the money I think would install geo for the whole house. If I was going to stay in my current situation I would be tempted just to put a gas furnace in and a window air for the lower level.
    Trying to decide on what to do. Thanks for any input.

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Houses with geo sell well in our area. Yours might differ...

3. Dinnerbellmel

Dinnerbellmel New Member

It is kind of a tough dilemma because of your plans to sell it soon. I think I would ask a realtor that question. A good realtor will be able to look at the big picture with your location, house age and condition, etc. and might be able to give you some good advice. You don't want to put more into it than you will be able to get back out. However, they may advise to replace it because you won't be able to sell it with 20 yo equipment.

4. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

$10K minus 30% = $6,600
    How much is a gas furnace installed for you? Plus as a home buyer, I would not be impressed by a window a/c

5. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am new to NW Ohio so I would see the realtor.

I think I would do at least the geo replacement. I would want to see the job before comenting on installing one system to do all three levels.

Mark

6. nightowl

nightowl New Member

I don't believe you get 30% back. "A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures"

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

It is a tax credit. It pays your income tax obligation instead of you writing a check. BTW that is set to expire 12/31/2016, unless I missed something.

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

So when you say "water furnace" do you mean hot water boiler? Is it natural gas or propane?