New York Relay not available

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RobD, Sep 29, 2014.

1. RobD

RobD New Member

Hello

I have turned to you fine folks in this forum before, and have received some great advice. I have had pretty good luck with this heat pump, but am stuck again.

I have a bad "freeze relay". (I think that is what it is called). I am having trouble finding a replacement part. The heat pump is 25 years old, and ClimateMaster pretty much told me the heat pump is too old, and if I can't find parts, too bad.

They gave me a number of a distributor 6 hours away. I called and got an answering machine. In the meantime, I thought I would see if you folks have any suggestions. I am hoping there is a comparable part I can use.

It is a ClimateMaster residential heat pump. Model VE042GSSSLTDESA. The relay part number is A30-2296-00.

I can jump the relay, but that would mean no protection. How risky would this be? It uses well water.

I hope I can get a part. I told the lady at ClimateMaster that I think it is pretty sad that a heat pump may have to be replaced because a relay is not available. She politely listened, and said thank you for calling.

Thank you!
    Rob

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

What does the relay do?

3. kinglerch

kinglerch Member

I threw the relay part number in google and got a few hits, including eBay. Looks like an old part number, but seems to be replaceable with a little searching. FWIW.

4. RobD

RobD New Member

Hi Mark

I think it shuts off the compressor if the water gets to cold. It has a long copper tube that is wrapped around a water pipe.

But I am not entirely sure.

Thanks!

5. RobD

RobD New Member

Hi Kinglerch

Thanks! I tried that before and there was a posting for a used one. I was a little weary about that, and would like to buy something new.. But the ad there now claims to be new. I will try that if I can't find a new one.

Thanks again
    Rob

6. RobD

RobD New Member

Well, I reached the company that ClimateMaster directed me too. He can't deal with a homeowner. I have to keep trying a local contractor. (I did ask my usual repairman a couple months ago, but have not heard anything).

He said their may be something, but could not confirm. It is frustrating. I may have to go the ebay route.

Thanks!
    Rob

7. RobD

RobD New Member

Well, I did order the one on ebay. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I should have tried that again before posting, but thank you for your help.

Rob

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Perhaps you could replace it with a low pressure switch that will offer similar protection in a different fashion or any digital temperature sensor/thermistor with dry contacts.

9. RobD

RobD New Member

That is what I was hoping may be an option. The relay has a long copper tube that gets wrapped around a water pipe. It seems to monitor outgoing water temperature (back to well), but am not sure what other relay I could use that would shut down the compressor if the water is too cold.

Thank you! I appreciate the reply.

Rob

10. Mark Custis

Rob:

Do you have a wiring diagram?

Like Joe mentions there are many ways to do the same job. If your description of what it does is correct any thing that senses pressure or temperature can me made to work to protect the equipment.

Mark

11. RobD

RobD New Member

Hi Mark

Yes, there is a wiring diagram. It is called a "freezestat". It is in series with a LPS (low pressure swithc) and a HPS (high pressure switch).

12. Mark Custis

Since it is in the safety circuit, any open on fall adjustable refrigeration thermostat should do the job.

Mark