Redundancy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by the blur, Aug 13, 2015.

1. the blur

the blur Member

Do you guys keep your oil burner for redundancy & supplemental heating purposes ? Also for domestic HW...

2. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

I kept my lp furnace for backup and also the utility here offers a rate discount for dual fuel users that agree to allow load controls to be used. Meaning during peak utility usage if they need to they can remotely turn off my gshp and switch me to lp heating.

3. Stickman

Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

As part of my install, my oil-fired boiler, baseboard radiators and HWH were removed and all walls patched up. In hindsight, maybe it would've been better to keep that delivery system, but it didn't address my need for central A/C. I also didn't have much extra space to place the heat pump, as most of my basement is finished. Therefore, I'm without backup, other than a generator with enough power to run the air handler (split system) with the aux strips if the power goes down.

4. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

A redundant system must be maintained, serviced, and costs money to be integrated. A electric strip heat comes without maintenance, is cheap and be easily integrated.

5. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

In my operating area many customers opt for " off grid " options for supplemental as well as emergency heat. Pellet stoves ect.
    Eric