Raugeo or std HDPE on my boreholes

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Designer_Mike, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Designer_Mike

Designer_Mike Member

I'm trying to finalize my system and my driller is proposing using RAUGEO for the boreholes and thus reducing the footage requirement to save me some $

Can I get some feedback about performance?

Initially, I was looking at twin 230' boreholes with 1" HDPE and enhanced grout. I asked to add the spacer clips to improve performance a bit.

The optional quote is twin 170' holes with (I believe) four tubes each bore of the Raugeo PexA system.

The difference is close to $1000 but the LAST thing I want to do is short loop my system and have trouble down the road.

It's a 3 ton system BTW

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi and welcome,
    Do a search. I did a straight line cost vs. return annalysis and posted the results. They were not good. The clips are also a hot button of contention. Labor and material cost vs. return. Although there is math to support the use of rehau products and thermally enhanced grouts, and the clips, at the end of the day it is about feet of pipe in the ground. Reducing footage by using either of these or both without having done a conductivity test on your specific project is a slippery slope. you are starting with a rule of thumb on footage for your area and reducing it by using math for which you have no baseline.
    Let us know what you finnally decide and what your performance is if you go for the rehau. a lot of us here are awaiting "field results" to compare to conventional loops with 20% grout.
    Eric

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

If installing contractor warranties results (assures loop performance will stay within certain parameters), then you have nothing to lose. Save the thou.
    If installer won't stand by product, don't buy.
    j