R22

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by waterpirate, Jan 31, 2019.

1. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

So I had a customer call today about their 10 year old system with r22. The question was if it needs repairs down the road will r22 still be available to service the unit? My well driller question is can a unit using r22 be converted to another gas? Second question can you change the air handler only and keep the compressor if switching gasses?
    Thanx guys this is way out of my area of expertise.
    Eric

2. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

I work with refrigeration in a little different field (bulk tank milk coolers on dairy farms), but most of the units we are maintaining are still R22 designs. We are using 427A as a drop in replacement with no components changed.
    There are way too many R22 systems out there. There will be some thing available for quite a while (unless the government gets involved) At most it may require an oil change and TXV to switch to a new refrigerant that's comparable to R22.
    That's my understanding FWIW.
    If someone has more to add, I'm all ears!

3. nc73

nc73 Member Forum Leader

Isn't R22 going to get more and more expensive?

4. Eric Kurtz

Eric Kurtz Member

I think it already is! Hence we use a replacement refrigerant that is designed to be the same as R22 (but supposedly less harmful to the environment).

5. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

So I just got off the Ferraine 427A website and all I can say is wow. A conversion gas is certainly going to put a damper on some contractors fear mongering over you should buy a whole new unit because your r22 unit is illegal. Thanx for the info!
    Eric