New York Questions from a Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Stevethomas, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Stevethomas

Stevethomas New Member

A few facts:
    • New (to me) Water Furnace system.
    • Radiant heat throughout the house.
    • Some days it is a bit chilly outside, some days it is warm.
    • My wife and daughter wear sweaters and complain they are cold on the chillier days.
    • I get yelled at because I don't want to turn on the heat.
    I would like to prolong the Indian summer months and save a few bucks by not turning on the heat. I guess I learned this from my Dad who was a fanatic about waiting and waiting until turning on the forced air heat. He almost made us all feel guilty about it when he turned it on.

Anyway...my question is, during these transitional weeks/months like we see in the fall and spring, does it really cost much to turn on the heat and set the thermostats to around 67 or 68 degrees or should I hold out as long as I can? Keep in mind that on some days the thermostats will not be calling for heat and I will just be heating/maintaining heat in the buffer tank.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You need outdoor reset.

3. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I think you need " dad reset ". The tale of your dad reminded me of the scenes from " The Christmas Story ". Geo is not fossil fuel and likes to maintain a constant temp, not satisfy demand when the wife and kids are really cold or hot. lol
    Eric

4. Stickman

Stickman Member Forum Leader

Happy wife, happy life ;)

5. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Operating cost is lowest in bumper seasons. Were you to heat in the morning and cool in the afternoon you likely be operating at peak COP/EER. This is because the heating cycle would remove heat from the ground that the cooling cycle replaced so you are nearly (literally) simply moving your own btus around.

6. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Turn the stuff on now. It is maybe too late. I set all of my high mass, (think concrete slabs) to start up when the apples are starting to ripen. A geo system tied to radiant is low and slow. I like to load high mass floors and stuff while the living is easy for the heat pump.

All my email and phones till work. All I do is think now.

Mark