Question about replacement unit for closed look Geothermal system

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Debbie Brooks, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Debbie Brooks

Debbie Brooks New Member

I have just had the compressor go out on my 14 year old Waterfurnance Premiere 2 unit. We were given a quote of $3500 to replace the condenser or $18,000 to install a new Waterfurnance 5 unit. I have seen online sites where you can purchase a Climaster system. My question is: Is it advisable to buy a new unit this way - to save money- vs. going through a dealer?

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hello and welcome.

Since I do not know what your dealer's cost of doing business or your location I am not able to advise you on the dollar numbers you posted.

I would mention that you are not just buying a machine. You also get the knowledge of the dealers and his support for service and warranty needs. I shake in my boots when I hear people shopping the internet for refrigeration equipment or buying R-134A at a wholesale club. There is a reason I have a refrigerant handling permit.

Mark

3. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

There are pros and cons to both choices. First get other opinions from local dealers to see if price you were quoted reflects a baseline or if it is high.
    Then research product, a series 5 is not the latest and greatest, though you may find it adequate. You won't know until you educate yourself on the differences in models.

4. Debbie,

I am married to one of the guys who responded to your questions, I know the other one well. First questions: are you without heat; where are you located; can you install the system yourself if you buy it online vs from a dealer; who do you consider to be a dealer (installer, Home Desperate, Water Furnace)?

Stay warm,

SC

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

I would not do such an intensive repair on a 14 year old unit. Given tax credits associated with a new units, I would opt for that. We are very happy with the dual stage 5 series units, they are of high quality. I would advise you to get more estimates….

6. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

On December 16th, I had a customer with an Econar Combi Unit have the compressor lock up on the coldest week of the year (with no back-up aux heat). It was about 11 years old and had 23,000 hours on it (had hour meter) I gave him the price of about $4k for compressor replacement and the whole works and lead time of about 2-3 weeks to complete. They choose the same day to go with a new WF Synergy model and I ordered directly from the factory that afternoon, had it shipped to me and had them running by December 21 by 2pm in the afternoon. The $18k seems a little high if it is a direct 1 for 1 replacement assuming there is nothing else that is getting changed. Photo attached of happy and warm customers when we got the radiant up and running but before ductwork completion

Attached Files:

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Good work. I have a stocking house for Bosch, most of the time.

Mark

8. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Yes we don't tend to work with dealer direct brands so we are supported by local distributor and can often have replacement units installed next day.