Putting in a closed loop system

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DRoberts16, May 17, 2008.

1. DRoberts16

DRoberts16 New Member

New to the forum but have been researching geothermal systems for a couple of years and I'm getting ready to install a system. I'm in southwest Ohio near Cincinnati and have found an installer that comes very well recommended and I have seen a system he put in last year and the homeowner is very pleased with not only his work but the brand of equipment he installed. The unit I'm looking at is made by GeoComfort and I will need a 4 ton unit based on the square footage of my house with is a little over 2600 sq ft. He's designed a closed loop system using trenches and I'm also incorperating a desuperheater system to supplement the electric water heater. I'm replacing my current system which is a conventional electric with a heat pump and will be using the existing duct work.
    I would be interested in any comments from folks who have done a similar system, any advice or suggestions that may improve the operation of the system or suggestions on change of design. I have plenty of room for the trenches in the back yard so room is not a problem and I really don't want the added expense of wells. I would be interested in hearing how it affected your electric bill and likes/dislikes about the system. Thanks, Darrell

2. Waukman

Waukman Member

In the fall of last year I installed a Water Furnace with a 5 ton Vertical closed loop. My main comment regarding the loop is to be prepared for a destroyed yard. I had trenches to join my vertical loops and to bring the loop into the basement. In my case the area that was destroyed was small in comparison to what you will see. Also make sure they back fill correctly and compress the dirt as much as possible. In my case the installer didn't compress the dirt and a sink hole developed right next to the house. As soon as the snow melted I had a huge pool of water pouring into my basement.

I also have the desuper heater option. I added a pre-heat tank that is used by the desuper heater and that feeds my existing gas hot water heater.

I have been very happy with the cost to run my system. As part of the install I added a power meter on the electric feeding the geo unit. I have been monitoring the usage so I know exactly how much the geo unit consumes. The current total is 8578 kwh which translates to $850ish based on current electric rates. This is likely higher then what many people would see with a geo unit for the following reasons:
    1) We have been keeping the house at 77 degrees all winter
    2) This was a colder then usual winter for us here in Wisconsin
    3) Our house is 120+ years old and has little insulation.
    4) We also run the system harder at the current time as we don't have any air returns from our second floor.

Good luck with your install.

3. DRoberts16

DRoberts16 New Member

Thanks for the comments. I'm aware of the condition the yard will be left in after the trenches are backfilled but that's not a problem as I have a tractor and blade to take care of the finished grade. Plus the yard really needs to be worked and reseeded anyway as there are low spots and a poor stand of grass in some areas. It will give me a chance to work up,level and reseed the area late this fall. All the trenches should be settled well by then and that's when I'll do the finish grade and seed work.
    Just the wife and myself and we're not big consumers of hot water and the current water heater is 80 gallons which has always been plenty of hot water. I am interested in finding out a little more about the meter you installed on your unit that shows kw usage. Would be nice to be able to track usage and see how much the system requires compared to the total kw usage of the house. Might be a place to start looking for other high energy consuming appliances to trim down on overall usage.

4. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You can get a power meter here.

Be sure and disconnect the bottom element in your water heater so the desuperheater can heat that water

I have a 4.5 ton heat pump on a slinky system with a 3400 sq ft house. It as been running for 3 years. My annual heating bill runs about $190 and $260 for cooling. My neighbors are amazed.

Also soak the trenches good after backfill. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. Waukman

Waukman Member

The meter I purchased can be found here: http://www.ccontrolsys.com/