Pump Sizing

Discussion in 'Geothermal Heat Pump Applications' started by Knarrly Viking, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Knarrly Viking

Knarrly Viking New Member

So, I spent most of the day refreshing myself on Thermodynamics and Fluid Flow from my school days, to then do some ground loop calculations. I've done a couple whole-house load calcs, and I'm coming up with 22,000 to 26,000 BTUs heat loss for our county's 26F winter design temp. So, I've been sizing my ground loop for 3 tons to account for DHW that's not accounted for in the load calcs. With that my ground loop design:

Soil type: Sand down to hardpan at 5 feet, where my loops will be.
    Soil Thermal Conductivity: 0.6 Btu/hr ft F (Annual rainfall = 70 in. almost all in the winter, and I'm putting infiltration trenches in-between the geo trenchs, so it could be greater than 1.0 at times)
    Loops: Four 800' loops of 3/4" HDPE, 8 pitch slinky in Four 100' long 3' wide trenches
    Design Ground Temp: 52F
    20% propylene glycol mix
    Design Loop Flow: 3.2 gal/min
    Pump Flow: 12.8 gal/min
    Loop Head Loss: 24.8 ft

Now, I need to find a pump. What's the typical head loss in the manifolds and heat pump? I don't want the pump to be undersized because I'm getting pretty close to laminar flow in the loops.

2. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

Climatemaster has a pretty good loop pressure drop and pump sizing calculator that you can download here:

http://www.climatemaster.com/geothermal-dealer/geothermal-sales-tools/pressure-drop-calculator/

For a 3 ton geothermal unit with closed loop, you should only need around 9 gpm (3 gpm/ton) at full capacity. That changes your loop flows to 2.25 gpm/loop which will reduce your loop head loss. The pressure drop across the unit heat exchanger would typically be around 8-10 ft head loss. The program above shows that 10 fittings = 2 ft head loss. This would include the fittings exiting the unit and in your loop manifold. I count every short 90 degree turn as a fitting, i.e. a 180 degree U-bend at the end of a vertical loop = 2 fittings. A long sweep in the return pipe to make a turn = actual ft of pipe. You need to count the fittings on both the supply and return side.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Grundfoss 26-99 should do the job. With 9 gpm, you are indeed in laminar flow territory. Especially with glycol. Using 20% Methanol would change that. I assume you meant 18" pitch, not 8".

4. Knarrly Viking

Knarrly Viking New Member

By pitch I mean to say 8 feet of pipe per foot of trench. About 16" on-center spacing of the loops.
    Laminar flow in the 3/4" pipes is estimated at about 3.1 gal/min with 20% PG mix.

5. arkie6

arkie6 Member Forum Leader

Rather than 4 loops of 3/4" x 800', have you considered 3 loops of 1" x 1000'? Both have ~3000' of pipe in the ground, but the 1"x 1000' loops have less head loss.

Also, rather than 20% PG antifreeze, have you considered 15% Methanol? Both protect down to ~18F freeze point, but the Methanol results in less head loss and higher Reynolds Number.

See attached sample run using a Climatemaster TE_038 with internal Magna 25-140 pump that I did with 4 loops of 3/4" x 800' pipe with 20% PG vs. 3 loops of 1" x 1000' pipe with 15% Methanol:

Attached Files:

6. heatoldhome

heatoldhome Geo Student Forum Leader

Methanol is much much cheaper also.
    $4 per gallon here at a race shop.

7. docjenser

You are not getting into turbulent flow territory with 3.1 gal/min per circuit and 20%PG with 3/4" pipe. Roughly a Reynolds number of 1800.

8. Jason Stuart

Jason Stuart Banned

These thermodynamics calculations quite helpful in developing infrastructure of a heat pump.

9. This would help me decide to go with which heat pump. Thanks for these thermodynamics calculations.

10. docjenser

Go with 18" OC, which are easy to accomplish with 36" diameter slinkies. This means an 18" pitch.