Michigan Pressure needed for open loop

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BobCurtis, Jan 11, 2021.

1. BobCurtis

BobCurtis New Member

In another thread, dole valves and water pressure were discussed in an open loop system. I'm also hoping to keep my old WF going for at least 2 years, then take advantage of the tax credit. My 2 stage Premier is plumbed exactly like the diagram in the install manual, 2 solenoid valves with 6GPM flow valve on 1st stage, 5GPM valve on 2nd stage. The system is supplied from our home well pump, with a pressure regulator between tank and furnace set at 20 PSI. It's noisy! I've read about systems running at full system pressure, and others with regulators, the manual really doesn't address this, it only mentions flow. What kind of pressure should an open loop system see? And in the future, would a new furnace with built in flow control get full pressure or something regulated?

2. SShaw

SShaw Member

Domestic water needs high pressure and low volume. GSHPs need high volume and low pressure. These are conflicting requirements, so it ends up being inefficient to pump a high volume of water up to 60 PSI then throttle it down to supply the GSHP.

With an open loop system you only need 1.5 GPM/ton, which results in a 1-2 PSI drop across the heat exchanger. (The pressure drop would be listed in the manual.) So, you should be able to drop the regulator down to 5-10 PSI.

Some noise could be caused by the plumbing, Some valves are more noisy than others.

3. BobCurtis

BobCurtis New Member

Thank you, that's the kind of info I'm trying to find. The noise is actually from the regulator and back to the tank, approx 20 feet of 1 inch copper. Unfortunately this is all under the master bedroom, so not great for sleeping. I'm searching for options on the next furnace, if the regulator is needed I'll move it near the furnace, which is on the other side of the house.

4. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Ah the plumbing night mare. Rarely do the geo or the well guy think about placement in regard to rooms in the house. In my years of service I have helped many people who were refered to me as being difficult. My standard line is " you live here " how can we help? Sometimes just moving things around and listening go a long way, even if you are DIY.
    Eric

5. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

OP, regarding the "tax credit", if you are referring to the federal credit it ends in 2021 at 22%. no credit for 2022 and beyond so if you are going to be taking advantage of it, better do it this year and probably schedule work before the fall. I don't like to plan anything based on politics and who knows what happens next year (next week for that matter :))

6. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member Forum Leader

The new gov spending package has extended the tax credit at 26% for 21 & 22.

7. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

well that is some happy news. Had no idea. was trying to cram a solar project into 2021 but looks like I have some more time. glad I was wrong