Pond size & depth

Discussion in 'Surface Water Loops' started by MinnAcadia, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MinnAcadia

MinnAcadia New Member

In the next few years I intend to build a new home in northern Wisconsin. The property has a pond that is approximately 225' x 50' and the current depth ranges from 4 - 6 feet. I intend to make the pond deeper - my thought is to go 12 feet. The house will be one story with a walkout basement. There will be approximately 1800 sq ft on the main floor & approximately 800 sq ft of living space in the basement. Will the pond be big enough to heat & cool the home? Winters can be harsh in northern Wisconsin. I can make the pond larger if necessary but would rather not go that route if not needed. There is a swamp on the back side of the pond with a dike between the pond & swamp. Water level in the pond is the same as in the swamp. I believe there is water exchange between the pond & the swamp (the dike is primarily gravel as is the soil the pond is in) and I'm thinking this is a good thing as it may help with temperature dispersion as the water is cooled or heated from the geothermal system. Comments & advice will be appreciated!

2. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sounds doable and I agree the exchange with the swamp my contribute to better efficiency.
    That said, digging a pond deeper may be more difficult than installing closed ground loops.
    Joe

3. MinnAcadia

MinnAcadia New Member

Agreed on the cost - it could be high. But the pond needs cleaning up on the edges - lots of trees & shrubs to remove. I've gotten one estimate to dig it deeper and clean it up for approximately $5,000. Since it is a few years out, I'll get new estimates in the future. A benefit of digging it deeper is that the soil will most likely be gravel which could then be used as fill for the new home construction - meaning I will not need to have the fill trucked in. I like your suggestion re: the ground loop. As the time gets closer, I'll request a bid for both options.

Do you think the pond will be large enough to properly heat and cool the house?

4. AMI Contracting

AMI Contracting A nice Van Morrison song Industry Professional Forum Leader

"Do you think the pond will be large enough to properly heat and cool the house?"

Ummmmm.......maybe.

info a little vague i.e. btus required etc.
    j

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Size is OK, just depth is concerning.

Keep in mind that the area for a closed loop slinky for a 3-4 ton system you seem to be needing is 40x100 ft. So you have much more volume for heat exchange and and much better conductivity. Just the depth should be around 7-8 ft at least.