Pond Loops Have Floated Up

Discussion in 'Surface Water Loops' started by rajuncajun9, Feb 23, 2010.

1. rajuncajun9

rajuncajun9 New Member

Here is a short synopsis of what we are going thru….

Our first winter with pond loops was not a good one as in the spring we had to get HVAC and loop installers back out and they added spacers that were needed and also added another loop for our 5 ton geo unit. We, the homeowner, have experienced large electric bills this first winter due to this not done as unit did not run properly.

Now, year two, we have had our loops float up and have again experienced large electric bills up to $650 a month thus far. After the loops floated up, this site provided me with the Carrier sheet (of which the HVAC and Loop Installer both had that clearly shows that aeration is not recommended and suggested that we not aerate). Our loops did not look like that in the Carrier recommendations but am told that as installed are acceptable in the area.

In my opinion and I told this to the HVAC installer:

“Both (HVAC contractor) along with (Loop Installer, their sub) should have recognized and taken into account in their planning and design of our geothermal system, the fact that there was an aeration system in-place (windmill). (Home Owner) discussed pond fish health with you in the beginning—that was a big concern of ours. No one ever questioned or mentioned to us that our aeration system that existed prior to the geothermal would be a problem. Had (HVAC contractor) or (Loop Installer) informed (homeowner) beforehand that this could result in a problem, we would not have allowed a pond loop to be placed but would have directed it to be buried in the ground. At this point, we do not have any quarantee that this will not happen again. The fact that (Loop Installer) acknowledged stratification (and/or destratification) to your tech, (HVAC tech), tells me that he probably knew that this could occur. “

We set up a meeting to discuss:
    We met with the HVAC and Loop Installer and at first the thought was that even if we aerated in the low area of the pond there was a 60/40% that the pond loops would float up again and he wasn’t comfortable with. We (homeowner) were not comfortable with the fact that it could float up again and we have continued to get large electric bills. (Honestly, in two years I’ve had large enough electric bills that I feel I am not seeing a return on my investment yet). We discussed digging two trenches in the ground and take the loops out of the pond. ITO: split costs three ways; IMO – we, the homeowner, share no fault.

Then they (HVAC) came back the following week after talking to others within their companies and that there is a 75%/80% chance if we aerate in the low area of the pond it would be fine and if it did float they would do a partial earth loop of 3 ton in ground to go with loop.

At this point, IMO we just don’t want it in the pond; don’t want to chance it floating up; don't want to give up pond health maintained thru aeration and putting it in the ground in trenches is probably the way it should be at this ponit. Our pond is one acre and on a hill and we get some good winds.

Who should bare the costs of an oversight in our pond loop installation. Thoughts……..what would you do...

Even if loops stayed, they will have to come out and be redone as there is highly probability they could be kinked....

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I am sorry for your luck

I will look at what you have. I think you are getting the run around from uneducated installers. I will hold my tongue on how to weight down a loop field. I will also hold my tongue on the length of you loops.

I do not think the pond is to blame.

The laws of thermal dynamics have not changed.

3. rajuncajun9

rajuncajun9 New Member

I found that website on Indiana pond loops. Pretty much I would say my loops are not correct as is. Weigh down by standards is obviously not enough. Still trying to decide what to do, what will work, easiest, etc.

4. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I would

Wait for the thaw, pull the loops and slinky them and re-sink.