Pond Loop Configuration - How can I find out what the capacity is?

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Jerry Stephenson, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jerry Stephenson

Jerry Stephenson New Member

Hello,

I have had a system installed for 20 years. I have a pair of Hydro Delta - Mega-Tek 5 ton units. My long time service/installer has recently sold the business. I am having problems with one of my units and since the unit is discontinued, the recommendation from the new owner is to install a new system and junk the old one.

I have no documentation on my pond loop. The installer has no records, and I do not recall getting anything from the installer 20 years ago. (yes, my fault). I know my loops are configured in a "ball", and there are (3) or (4) of the balls. I have looked for similar configurations on the web, but found none. I see the "slinky" and the "coil" configurations, but none like mine.

My questions, if anyone can help:
    - Does anyone know if this "ball/mesh" design is proper?
    - Is there any way to measure the length or to confirm this pond loop can handle the (2) 5 ton units installed?

Thank you
    Jerry

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Hi and welcome?

The very first rule of service is: Do not reinvent the existing wheel.

That statement assumes that over the past 20 years you have enjoyed satisfactory performance from your 2 five ton units. If that statement is true, move forward with a new unit to replace the old one and leave your flow alone.

If you have not had satisfactory performance in the past, now is the time to correct past sins. The only way to really verify what you have is to float the balls. A 20 year install that is attempted to float is going to be hairy at best.

I would be inclined to believe that your original loop balls are fine and you just need a replacement 5 ton unit.

hope this helps
    Eric

3. Jerry Stephenson

Jerry Stephenson New Member

Thank you Eric. I wish I would have joined 20 year ago.

That is sound advise and greatly appreciated.

Is the "loop ball" configuration a common, and good choice for a pond loop? When I did not find any hits on the web, I started getting concerned. I have a very limited knowledge if geothermal operation, but it does seem like a logical method of getting heat transfer.

I am grateful for the input.

Jerry

4. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

No. Not a common operation at all. We'll roll up pond loops for transport sometimes - and they may look like what you have. But we lay them flat on a frame for installation. All but one of our pond loops have been on public waterways though, so we want to minimize exposure to anchors, fishing, sunlight, etc.

5. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Having the pipes close together in general is of concern. The concept of "It worked well before, it will work now" is a good and general a valid one.

One concern is that the newer units are more efficient, thus they will extract more heat from the water, meaning lower temperatures around the pipes especially when they are too close together.

Something to be aware of.