Piping Materials?

Discussion in 'Surface Water Loops' started by mercurymech, Jul 9, 2012.

1. mercurymech

mercurymech New Member

We arre about to start another installation next week and I wanted to see what most people are using for the interior geo piping to the heat pumps? So far we have seen copper, HDPE, PVC schedule 80, etc. What are people using and what do you think works the best time/cost wise?

2. waterpirate

waterpirate Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

We use hdpe only from the loops all the way to the flow center, Got fusion?:p
    Eric
    there are pictures of our work in the gallery on our website

3. Palace GeoThermal

Palace GeoThermal Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Like Eric, we use HDPE. I would not use PVC.

4. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

HDPE all the way to the heatpump.

5. zacmobile

zacmobile Guest

HDPE & Aquatherm

HDPE for short distances but sometimes Aquatherm for longer runs; It's more robust & less prone to condensation issues, we always insulate regardless but it's nice that the pipe is somewhat insulative too.

I would never use PVC, way to brittle, I could not sleep at night. Nor copper; too prone to condensation & too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  6. mercurymech

mercurymech New Member

Thanks guys. We have never used PVC yet but i have seen it done many times. So far we have been using copper and insulating it. Mainly because HDPE fittings are so hard to find readily available up to this point. Maybe we are looking in the wrong places, but I can get a copper fitting 10 minutes down the road in any direction. We can't risk being stuck because we are missing one HDPE 90 or tee.

7. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

With the price of copper

I will use what ever will hold water. I am not a big HDPE fan as it looks messy to me when installed. I know the required insulation covers the messy look, but I like my work to look good. Some one told me once, "..if it looks good it is good...".

The folks here used to make fun of me for putting radiant floors in ponds.

Mark

8. tugguy

tugguy New Member

If I were to use HDPE and wanted to run within an insulated poured concrete basement floor should I insulate there as well?

My thinking is for the short time the medium is spending within the concrete it shouldn't effect the temperature but I'm sure someone here has experience. Also I do a lot of work myself and I have machinery and help, is fusion welding the pipe a very difficult process for a beginner and if not is the equipment worth buying for one job or can it be rented?

North jersey with a walkout basement lines will come through foundation about 4' below grade.

9. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

You should be sleeping the pipe when bringing it through concrete.

"Sleeving"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Call Anna at phoenixflowcenters.com and she will hook you up with all the fittings !

11. tugguy

tugguy New Member

Sleeving to protect pipe and possibly remove and replace in time? If in an insulation sleeve would that add enough protection?

12. urthbuoy

urthbuoy Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Sleeving for me is to allow for better waterproofing of the penetration. Direct pipe with its shrinking/expanding will gap off the concrete. Plus it eliminates the wear from this movement on the pipe.

We usually have the sleeves already in place, so they are set in concrete. If drilled in aftewards (retrofit) we silicon them in place. Feed HDPE through. Some spray foam to seal gaps and silicon to seal out moisture. There are other ways to do it as well.

13. Bergy

Bergy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

For new construction we run insulated HDPE under the footings and stub them up
    where we want them in the mechanical room.

Bergy

14. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Dito! On retrofits we are trying to cement sleeves in, and then use the metraseal.

15. tugguy

tugguy New Member

Ok so if I sleeve the foundation and insulate the pipe under the slab I should be golden. Also insulating under the slab as I plan on radiant heating it. I read someone using a Fernco reduceing coupling to mate the sleeve to the HDPE pipe. I think that works as the secondary seal to the silicone and foam, Belt and suspender approach.

16. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

I have seen that done on a few of my jobs. Tim Yoder was the driller.

Mark