Oregon Parts List for Garden Sprayer Loop Re-Pressurizing Tool

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GeoPuzzled, Feb 29, 2020.

1. GeoPuzzled

GeoPuzzled New Member

My well water eats copper and iron, so when my pressurized loop began leaking I had to look for an alternative to the standard garden hose re-pressurizing (goosing) tools. I'm going to have to limp along until I can get someone out with a flush cart to add leak-stopper and convert to a non-pressurized system. I saw somewhere that it was possible to use some garden sprayers to get reasonable pressure restored in such cases, so I sacrificed a Scotts sprayer to give it a try with some distilled water that won't eat my coax.

Prior to re-pressurizing, I had a static pressure of ~4 PSI and 12 PSI with the pump running. I was easily able to pump up a pressure of 25 PSI with the pump running using the Scott's sprayer, showing 17 PSI with the pump off. I didn't want to push it any higher than that, though it's possible the sprayer could handle it.

Here's a parts list with links and a photo of the finished product in case it might save someone else some time:

Scotts 1 Gallon Sprayer Model 190498 available at Home Depot
    Anderson Metals 57001-0404 Brass Hose Fitting, Adapter, 1/4" Barb x 1/4" NPT Male Pipe from Amazon
    MBVM Series Brass Mini Ball Valve, Lever, 1/4" NPT Male x NPT Female from Amazon
    Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, 90 Degree Barstock Street Elbow, 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe from Amazon
    Winters STP Series STP003 Brass Gauge Adaptor, 2-3/4 OAL x 1-3/4" x 1/8" Probe from Amazon

If you heat the cut end of the sprayer hose in a cup of hot water, it slips right on the 1/4" barb fitting without any drama. I put a little hose clamp on the barb, though I don't know that it is necessary.

garden_sprayer_re-pressurizer.jpg garden_sprayer_re-pressurizer_needle_closeup.jpg