Overheating unit

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BlindPig, May 22, 2020.

1. BlindPig

BlindPig New Member

I have a 5tn Climatemaster Tranquility 27 unit and 4000sf home. It's overheating in the summer and tripping off constantly. I probably should have put more loop in the ground but the place I bought from recommended 500ft/tn which is what I did (horizontal, closed loop). Now I'm hearing it should have been double that. I'm considering a desuperheater hoping to suck some heat off the unit but also interested if anyone has any advice about just a secondary water tank to act as another source of water exchange to drop the incoming temp. I'm in a sandy soil and don't have any more room to lay down more loop. Any suggestions?

2. SShaw

SShaw Member

I have a 4T unit with 4,200 feet of pipe in the ground, so 2,500 sounds light. The desuperheater probably won't help much since it's a closed system. Once it heats up the water tank that's it. Same for any kind of secondary water tank. You probably need to figure out how to get more pipe in the ground to make any difference.

3. gsmith22

gsmith22 Member

an idea that docjenser mentioned in another thread would be to use a dedicated geo unit to heat hot water rather than using a desuperheater. a hot water geo unit would steal heat from the loop that would otherwise be rejected to the ground. Only other thing I could think of would be to get that sand as wet as possible. (Water is harder to heat up and cool off) - collect rain from the roof leaders and pipe it out across the loop. But I suspect, you are so short on loop that these would only provide help at the margins and not totally solve your issue. If you are out of horizontal space, vertical wells are what remains. If you go the vertical well route, not sure I would even bother with the horizontal loop at that point. Don't know where you are at, but wouldn't be surprised if you end up with less than 1500 vertical feet of well for a 5T unit (sounds like cooling controls so thinking hot climate).

4. BlindPig

BlindPig New Member

Thank you SShaw and GSmith. I'm planning on catching rain water to water the loop field although I buried the loop 10' so I could put anything above it without worrying about someone snagging a pipe with an auger or bucket. Here in NC, the soil is sandy and I would expect some water would make it down there. I can't go vertical because of code so that's not an option. Anyone have any experience splicing into the pipe or any issues afterward with leaking or contamination in the pipe? If I laid another loop on top of my current loop without getting too close to the surface, they would still be only 3-4 ft apart which I don't know if that would be worth it.

5. SShaw

SShaw Member

I believe you can do a fusion splice into the existing pipe, then flush out any debris with a flush cart.

If your existing loop is 10' down, you should be able to put additional loop on top of it. You should not need the loop 10' deep.

How is your loop is configured? How many trenches? How many pipes per trench? Straight pipe or slinky?

6. BlindPig

BlindPig New Member

I have (5) 36in dia slinky loops 10' apart and ea are about 75' long. They all exit my crawlspace and go toward the back of my lot where they share the same trench to collect at the back and go down to the side of my lot before coming back to the other side of my crawlspace and to my baffle valves setup. I knew 10' deep was not necessary but with the intent of having a rainwater cistern, I didn't want to be risking digging into something 5-6' down. This loop field covers my entire backyard with little room to spare. As it is, I just put an oversize garage over 2 of the loops.

7. SShaw

SShaw Member

You can stack slinkies vertically, 3' apart, but you only get a small reduction in trench length. You can model this with LoopLink RLC, a free online tool.

I'd suggest you model your exact parameters in LoopLink or some other software to see what might be possible.

8. BlindPig

BlindPig New Member

Thanks for the info and link. I'll check it out and keep thinking.