Optimum Flow Direction in a Horizontal Loop?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cadman, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Cadman

Cadman New Member

Is there such a thing?

In preparation for building manifolds for my 6 horizontal ground loops (3/4”, parallel), I got to wondering if there’s any advantage/disadvantage to feeding the ‘head’ of one and the ‘tail’ of another, especially if it improves the physical layout of the valves. All 12 lines come up through three large cores in my slab, so forcing all the heads on one manifold and all the tails on the other is doable, but messy. Does it matter?

In the same vein, if you have two slinkies sharing a trench, so that they’re separated vertically by a few feet of earth, would it be advantageous to plumb the two ‘out of phase’ to even out heat extraction/rejection over the full trench length?

2. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

Don't think it matters....

Cadman likes this.
  3. arkie6

arkie6 Active Member Forum Leader

It sounds like you are describing a reverse return header. Google it for more info.

Putting two slinkies in one trench, one above the other, doesn't sound like a good idea regardless of how it is plumbed.

4. Cadman

Cadman New Member

Hi Arkie6, in this case it's still 6 equal length loops with 6 heads and 6 tails coming into the building, so still a conventional return. I think I'm leaning towards "it doesn't matter". But, my space constraints outside the building meant I had to bury two slinkies per trench. The lower at 8' deep, the upper at 5-6' deep. In this case, I'm thinking of swapping heads and tails at the manifolds to put each trench pair 'out of phase' so the loop EWT's and LWT's will offset each other if there's crosstalk between the two slinkies. Best case, it may help a little, worst case, it may not matter.