Pennsylvania Optimizing Runtimes

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by doctor15, Dec 8, 2016.

  1. doctor15

    doctor15 New Member

    I'm new to this, but trying to learn as much as I can...

    I had a Climate Master TES038 installed about 6 months ago, and am trying to find the optimal thermostat settings on my Ecobee.

    I'm a bit concerned that even in the mid 30s it seems to require VERY long runtimes (often in Stage 2) to maintain the temperature. Here's a graph of the runtimes today, with the top being Stage 1, lighter orange Stage 2, and red is a gas furnace.


    Is ok for the HP to be running for that long? Does this look like its operating properly? I expected more frequent, but shorter cycles mostly in Stage 1 (like what you see overnight). I'm concerned it may not hold up on colder days.

    P.S. The installer recommended a ClimateMaster thermostat "because its made to work with it", and offered to install it for free next week. I would prefer the Ecobee because I like being able to monitor and tweak how its operating, but may go for it if things aren't working optimally.
  2. Stickman

    Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

    Are you programming the t-stat to a lower temp at night? Odd that it runs less at night (usually colder than day). Aux usage at 7 am suggests a call for a rapid temp increase.
  3. doctor15

    doctor15 New Member

    Yes, I drop the temp 3 degrees at night for comfort, so the Aux kicking on at 7am was expected. I'm open to experimenting with that a bit though.

    Its the ~9am-8pm timeframe I'm more concerned about.

    BTW, at the bottom of the graph the orange line represents my setpoint and the white line represents the indoor temperature.
  4. Stickman

    Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

    One thing noticeable is that your heat pump doesn't downstage from 2nd to 1st during the day.

    Im sure the pros will be by here soon.
  5. doctor15

    doctor15 New Member

    Should it be? I turned off the reverse staging and the stage 1 max runtime to 30 minutes to try to shorten the cycles a bit. The installer (who I'm having a bit of difficulty communicating with) said that I shouldn't have super long runtimes. I also noticed stage 2 seems to only use ~500 watts more then stage 1, so it appears it might be advantageous to run stage 2 rather then longer stage 1 runtimes (I would love someone to explain why I'm wrong).

    Here's another day with different settings, and you can see Stage 1 had to run almost the entire day to keep up, despite the outdoor temperature being above 40.

    One odd thing I notice about this, is it didn't need to run as much after 5pm, despite it being cooler. Could that be related to raising the setpoint at 7am? It seems crazy that it would take the house 10 hours to recover from that when the furnace brought it up to the right setpoint in 30 minutes.
  6. Stickman

    Stickman Active Member Forum Leader

    May have to do with the house absorbing heat during daylight hours or occupants returning. See my cycling graph here. Although mine ran only in stage one, the pattern you see is similar in mine.
  7. Andrew Kulin

    Andrew Kulin Member

    Have you tried calling Ecobee's technical support line? I installled one of these in May, had some odd behaviour and the fellow on the other end walked me through the settings, found the issue and we fixed it up in about 5-10 minutes. Also helped further optimize other settings while we were at it. Seemed to really know his stuff and I was quite impressed.
  8. doctor15

    doctor15 New Member

    I'm not sure anything is necessarily wrong with the thermostat, as its keeping my house at a comfortable temperature. I'm more trying to figure out what ideal runtimes are. IE should I have long runtimes in stage 1, shorter cycles in stage 2, etc.

    I've been experimenting with different settings, so I'm relatively familiar with what settings I should tweak but not sure what I should be aiming for.

    Out of curiosity though.. what do your settings look like?
  9. Andrew Kulin

    Andrew Kulin Member

    Hi. I cannot get to the settings document that is on my home PC but I posted my Ecobee settings on another thread in this forum (Electrical Usage seems too high for a Waterfurnace Premier), on October 27 (near the end of that thread)

    As far as my call to Ecobee tech support, it was not to deal with any issue with the thermostat itself, just going through my initial setup. In my case I had selected Rh+Rc on the initial setup (thinking to do so because my unit heats and cools) and the geo compressor wasn't turning on, so Aux would come on only after a while. They told me to set it to Rh only and that fixed the weird behaviour.

Share This Page