Opening a distillery and looking at Geothermal for worm cooling

Discussion in 'Geothermal Loops' started by Whiskey Dave, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Whiskey Dave

Whiskey Dave New Member

Good Morning

I am in the process of opening a distillery in Southeastern VA. I am looking to use a geothermal loop for cooling in my condensing worm. The vapor coming in to the coil will be between 175F and 212F. I will need cooling for at least 7 hours per run to cool the vapor back below the condensation point of ethyl alcohol. The output of the still is 8 gallons per hour.

I will be cooling the vapor in a worm submerged in a 53 gallon barrel. The barrel has an overflow tube to collect the return and a supply line for water into the barrel. I will have a 60 gallon HDPE tank to use as a makeup water tank for the loop. I have attached a basic drawing of what I think I need.

I have attached a drawing of what I think it would entail. From another discussion, I believe that the loop needs to be 900 feet long.

Any thoughts on how what else I need in order to make build this dream into reality?

David

Attached Files:

2. Mark Custis

Mark Custis Not soon. Industry Professional Forum Leader

Why do all the digging? Without a compressor in the system you can do the same thing with a cooling tower.

waterpirate likes this.
  3. I have the only functioning geothermal distillery in the country. Check out Silverback Spirits in AFTON VA. I can hook you up. We are saving them 8-9k per month in operating cost.

4. Mark Custis

ONLY?

World's best?

We will see.

5. So far brother. Saved my client $109,000 last year in operating costs.
    We are working on a few more projects in other parts of the country so they may not be the only one for long.

6. Cooling towers don't make hot water

7. Geothermal heat pumps do allow us to make hot water, and while making hot water it helps to balance my earth load

8. Mark Custis

Hotter water, but not hot enough for Ohio public health standards.

9. Yes we need to temper it to get to public health standards. But they are only using it as wash down water and not in any product. But we still supply 185-190 degree hot water

10. Mark Custis

Well this gets better the more beer is opened.

How are you supplying 190* water with a geothermal heat pump? I would like to see a cut sheet on that machine.

So you need to temper the water temp to get it up? Or down?

In Ohio we wash our dishes. We like them clean and germ free.

What is wash down water? Not used in products?

11. To begin they do not manufacture beer. It also seems as if you are offended in any way. Further more I don't need to provide you cut sheets. And before you become a poor sport with an ego driven attitude. Learn more about the world than just your closed mind.
    I have nothing to prove.
    www.sbdistillery.com

12. docjenser

docjenser Well-Known Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

"We’re the only mechanical contractor in the United States to understand that the distillery industry is an energy intensive business."

This is a quote from your website. Looks pretty ego driven to me.

To re-gain your credibility here, why don't you tell us how you are making 190F water solely with your geo system. We are here to learn from you!

Mark Custis likes this.
  13. ACES-Energy

ACES-Energy Member Industry Professional Forum Leader

ACES-Energy <------- Raises hand to learn!

14. Mark Custis

Heat goes to cold and cold goes to the wheel of fortune. Some times.

15. Looks pretty ego driven to me.

To re-gain your credibility here, why don't you tell us how you are making 190F water solely with your geo system. We are here to learn from you!

Think as you may. I do not have an ego, just proud of our abilities of rethinking and engineering systems that perform, function and save absolute energy. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself and my customers and friends.
    Sorry to offend everyone here, but I am here to show innovation in this industry not prove myself to no one.
    So I could really care less to prove anything to anyone.
    The hot water is tempered by a steam jacketed tank to reach our ideal hot water temp. Its that simple. I never stated that my GEO does 100% of my hot water heating.
    Hope that helps.
    I can put something in design if you need me to show you how that is done?????
    There are a few of us Mechanical contractors that can actually design, engineer and install conventional, hydronic, geothermal, commercial, industrial & building performance systems that actually work as we design them!!!!!
    Call it EGO driven if you want but I truly call it saving my customers $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Have a great day